September 22, 2008

End of the Duffer's Dream Tour

The final round of the 2008 Duffer's Dream Tour was played today at Crosswinds Golf & Country Club. To be honest, I'm glad it's finished. Over the last few rounds, it became apparent that the players on this tour are not completely interested in adhering to the rules of golf. Various deviations from the rules have been adopted, purportedly to keep up the pace of play.

I get the feeling it has more to do with guys liking to say they scored in the eighties, rather than the nineties. Frankly, I don't understand it. What satisfaction do you get from marking an 87 on your scorecard, when you know your real score is more like 93? Now, I am not a great golfer by any stretch of the imagination, but at least I judge myself against the rules.

I was not sure whether I would play the Duffer's Dream Tour Championship, to be held September 27 & 28 at Legends on the Niagara. I haven't played Legends before (and I want to) but the round at Crosswinds reminded me how I dislike playing with these lax rules. The worst of them all is the one that treats just about everything off the fairway as a lateral hazard, including fescue, a group of trees, etc. So, I think I will take a pass on the Tour Championship and perhaps head out to Legends on my own. Fall rates are in effect beginning September 29, so the round will be cheaper than what the Duffer's Tour is charging anyway.

As for next year, I doubt I'll be back on the Duffer's Tour. I will stick to leagues where the players are a little more concerned about the rules of golf, and where wayward balls are not found with such remarkable frequency. :)

Oh yeah, as for my game, it was so-so. My driving was pretty good, though I did duff a couple, coming from the outside in and topping the ball. My iron play was also pretty good, though I did catch a couple fat. My play around the greens is what really let me down. I made too many poor chip shots. I was in a lot of bunkers too. I got out of them all very clean, but usually carried the ball too far past the hole. My putting was not good, as I recorded six 3-putts.

Score: 100
Par: 72
Putts: 40
Fairways: 8
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment