June 27, 2020

Still Rolling at Victoria Park East

The good times continued with a solid score of 84 at Victoria Park East. The weather was perfect -- lots of sun, but not hot or humid, with a gentle breeze. I played bogey golf on the front nine, shooting 45, thanks to one par, seven bogeys, and a double-bogey. The par was on the opening par-5. I hit driver to the right rough, followed by a punch shot under some tree branches. Still in the right rough, I hit a lovely 7-iron over a front bunker in line with the flagstick. A lag putt and tap-in finished things off.

The double-bogey was on hole 4, a 176-yard par-3 over water. The further left you go, the further you have to carry to clear the water. For some reason, I pulled my tee shot badly and failed to make it over. Had the shot been more on line, it would have been fine. As it was, I had to use the drop zone. After adding a penalty stroke, I pitched on and 2-putt to conclude the hole.

I was hitting the ball reasonably well, but making a slight mistake each hole, which resulted in bogeys rather than pars. On hole 2, I hit a beautiful driver, 7-iron combination, finishing 12 feet from the hole, but off the green. My chip was good but rolled past the hole a bit, leaving a longer than desired par putt. My attempt was good, but it burned the edge. I hit good drives on holes 3 and 5, but followed up with poor second shots using 4-iron and 5-iron, respectively. A similar thing happened on hole 9 with the 7-iron. On hole 7, I hit my best drive of the day, but thinned a wedge to the fringe at the back of the green. Next came my only 3-putt of the day.

Thankfully, I straightened these things out on the back nine, shooting a nice score of 39 (4 over). After bogeys on holes 10 and 11, I rattled off three pars in a row. On hole 12, my drive finished a yard in the right rough. My approach finished flag high, but far from the hole in the left side fringe. A great putt almost dropped, leaving just a tap-in. Hole 13 is another par-3 over water. My tee shot was flag high, a couple yards left of the green. A lovely chip and putt earned the par. On hole 14, I hit my drive to the 100-yard stick, followed by a wedge to within 10 feet. I burned the edge of the hole with the birdie putt, tapping in again for par.

I finished the round going bogey, par, par, bogey. My approach from 155 yards on hole 16 was a beauty. Coming out of the left rough, I hit a laser to the flagstick. Unfortunately, a headwind kept it from reaching the hole. I faced an uphill birdie putt of about 12 feet and unfortunately pulled it. I hit a 70 yard shot over some tall trees to reach the green in regulation on hole 17. Not only that, but I left it very near the hole. It was a legit birdie chance, but I missed that one too. On a positive note, I recovered from two horrible shots to start hole 18. My third shot on this par-4 was a towering 5-iron that stopped just short of the severely elevated green. I followed that up with a good pitch and a downhill curling putt.

Score: 84
Putts: 34
Fairways: 4
Greens: 5
Penalties: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment