August 28, 2020

Just a Few Mistakes at Oliver's Nest

I found a good deal at Oliver's Nest, so I decided to make the trek. It's a long drive, but it takes you through some lovely bucolic scenery. The front nine began well, as I went bogey, par, par, bogey. My drive on the opening par-4 was a miss hit off the heel of the club. Two good iron shots gave me a chance to save par, but my putt just missed. My drive on hole 2 was awesome, allowing me to attack the back pin with lob wedge. I pulled the ball slightly left, finishing on the edge of a naturalized area. I made a fantastic up and down from there. Hole 3 was a textbook par-3. I hit the green, lagged one close, then tapped in. Another poor drive put me in some trouble on hole 4. My approach was with 4-iron and finished short of the green. After a great pitch shot, I missed a short par putt, settling for the bogey.

The remainder of the front featured some costly mistakes. Hole 5 is a long par-3 with a forced carry over a naturalized area. I hit my tee shot fat, landing in the junk. My third from the tee was a high 4-iron that found the green. Two putts earned a double-bogey. After making par on hole 6, I had more tee trouble on hole 7. This is a short par-4, so I opted for 5-wood. I hit this one fat as well, losing another ball in the junk just ahead of the teeing ground. Hitting my third from the tee, I finished the hole with another double-bogey. Both of those doubles could easily have been pars. Hole 8 was a fairly typical bogey, but I followed up with another double-bogey on hole 9. After a weak drive, I hit my 8-iron fat, barely advancing the ball. My score at the turn was 45.

Fortunately, I turned things around and played well for the entire back nine. I split the fairway on hole 10, before nailing the green with pitching wedge, en route to par. My third shot on hole 11, a par-5, was woefully short, requiring another pitch shot to get on the green. There was no par saving putt, so I took bogey. A threesome let me play through on hole 12, a short par-4. As they watched closely, I pummeled a drive down the left side of the fairway. Pulling off those drives with an audience is becoming a regular thing. My approach from 60 yards failed to clear a front left bunker, but I got up and down for par. My drive on the next hole split the fairway, but my 9-iron approach was fat, taking a huge divot out of the soft, damp fairway. I proceeded to hit one within makeable range, but burned the edge and took bogey. I recovered from that with another textbook par on a par-3.

The last four holes went bogey, par, par, bogey. The bogey on hole 15 was well earned, considering I started the hole by pushing a drive into the woods on the right. A deft chip into the green that had to be kept under a small tree was a big reason for that. Hole 16 was yet another textbook par-3. Though I hit the green in regulation, I was pretty far from the hole, so I did well to 2-putt from that position. Hole 17 was an absolutely perfect par 4. I split the fairway with my drive, which travelled 265 yards. I found my ball at the 100-yard marker in some casual water. After getting relief, I nailed the green with lob wedge. Another tricky 2-putt finished the hole off. Hole 18 began wth another weak drive. I seemed to alternate between bad and good on the day. The bad ones were weak pulls, as I swung from outside-in. I pitched back to the fairway and attacked the green with 9-iron. I came up short, requiring a chip and putt to close things out.

My score on the back nine was a respectable 40, which gave me 85 overall.

Score: 85
Putts: 33
Fairways: 7
Greens:6
Penalties: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment