August 28, 2010

Rain and Rain at Piper's Heath

I was in a scramble tournament at Piper's Heath, but played only eight holes, as the event was cut short by rain and lightning. Prior to teeing off, I spent some time on the driving range, attempting to fix the problems I've been having with my driver. I straightened my left elbow on setup, which seemed to improve my takeaway. In turn, this improved my swing path, whch had been terribly outside-in. I made solid contact on the course, though I was still pulling the ball slightly.

Making use of a rain check, I returned to Piper's Heath after a weekend with no golf. Once again, the weather did not cooperate. I managed nine holes this time and took home yet another rain check. The driver was good at times, bad at others. In fact, the same was true of my irons. A poor 5-iron from a par-3 teeing ground put me in trouble, leading to a quadruple-bogey. I launched the ball from one patch of fescue to another, resulting in a lost ball. It's just not possible to score well with penalty strokes.

Another problem was holding the greens when pitching the ball from inside 100 yards. I hit some high pitch shots with my most lofted club directly on target, only to watch the ball release forward and roll right off the green. It was frustrating to say the least. It's one thing to take your medicine after making bad shots, but being forced to take that medicine after seemingly good shots is pretty cruel. Alas, such is the game of golf at times.

Score: 51 (9 holes)
Putts: 18
Fairways: 2
Greens: 0
Penalties: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment