July 24, 2012

Destiny at The Highlands of Bradford

Anticipating the next Deepwoods Golf Association event, I headed out to The Highlands of Bradford for a much needed tune-up. The course is usually in good shape and offers a decent golf experience at good value. Long rounds can be a problem on weekends, but since I was playing on a Thursday, I had nothing to worry about.

I hit my opening drive fat, which meant I had to lay up in front of a hazard with my second shot on this par-4. My third shot from 90 yards was just off the back of the green. Patchy rough resulted in a sculled chip shot, which I followed up with a 3-putt for a depressing triple bogey. I've stalled out of the gate a few times this year, and I can tell you it's not fun.

Despite stumbling on the first hole, I put together quite a good round. There was one exception, which I'll get to in a moment. Over the last 17 holes, I tallied six pars, six bogeys, and four double bogeys. Half of the pars were of the traditional variety (i.e. reach the green in regulation, lag one close, then tap in to finish), while the rest resulted from excellent putting.

My driving was not especially sharp, but I did hit a number of good shots off the tee. My irons were not as bad as they have been lately, but I still managed to hook some balls and top some others. These miscues were behind most of the bogeys on my scorecard. The double-bogeys resulted from an encounter with a water hazard, poor bunker play, an untimely 3-putt, and a couple of bad chip shots.

The real story of the day was hole #6, a par-4 measuring just 361 yards. I've struggled, indeed blown up, on this hole before. Out of bounds lines the entire right side, while the left is protected by a small pond off the tee. The prevailing wind always seems to push balls OB. Players must carry a creek on their approach to a shallow green, also protected in front by an expansive bunker.

To make a long story short, I pushed four consecutive balls out of bounds off the tee. With a penalty stroke each, I was lying 8 and still on the tee! After finally hitting the fairway, my approach shot was short and in the bunker. Next, I overshot the green, then chipped on. Ultimately, a 2-putt finished things up for a score of 14.

How does something like that happen? I'm not really sure, but it does. Just ask John Daly, who famously (infamously?) poured (hehe) seven consecutive balls into the water at the 2011 Australian Open. Daly had the sense to call it quits that day. I don't know the meaning of quit, or perhaps I'm just a glutton for punishment – either way, I played on and was glad that I did.

On the eighteenth tee, I needed a par to break 100. I hit a fantastic drive, followed by a weak iron. My third into this par-5 was not great, but I still ended up on the green and 2-putt to get the necessary par. Considering that I scored 14 on a single hole, 99 looks pretty good indeed.

Score: 99
Putts: 32
Fairways: 4
Greens: 4
Penalties: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment