August 05, 2012

Return to King's Forest

Last year, I played King's Forest a number of times and took a liking to it, which is not to say that I played well there. In fact, I failed to break 100 on three separate occasions. With a new season comes new hope, so I decided to try my luck once again. While I may have had new hope, I certainly didn't have new skill or new talent, so the result was regrettably the same.

One of my downfalls on this occasion was putting. More disappointing than the fact I amassed 39 putts in total was that I 3-putt three of the first four holes and seven holes overall. It is simply impossible to score well with that many putts. On hole #1, a bogey turned into double-bogey with a poor lag, followed by a burned edge. On holes #3 and #4, pars turned into bogeys when greens in regulation were wasted with suspect putting. Throughout the entire round, my lag putts from distance were just too short.

Another downfall, not surprisingly, was my play from bunkers. I've consumed a lot of bits over the last couple of years describing my bunker trouble. At this point, every time I step into a bunker, I fear either picking the ball clean and blasting it past the green or hitting too much sand and failing to get the ball out at all. On hole #7, after a trio of bogeys and a birdie had steadied my game, I found a greenside bunker with my tee shot. Of course, I blasted the ball 40 yards past the green, behind some tall trees. I made a complete mess of the hole, finishing with a score of 7 on this par-3.

Last, but certainly not least, was some wildness with the driver. I hit some good shots with it throughout the round, but when I missed, I missed badly. On hole #8, I sliced one right into some long fescue. On the next hole, I sliced another into the trees. Both balls were lost, resulting in penalty strokes and re-teeing. Both holes produced a double-bogey, which is essentially a par after hitting your third shot from the tee. Considering that I've spent most of the past two years trying to avoid straight pulls, I was perplexed by the sudden regression to wild slices.

And so it was for yet another round. I hit some beautiful 3-irons, including a tee shot on hole #12, which I consider to be the most intimidating tee shot on the course. Another came on my second at hole #18, a par-5. It was also a 3-iron that set up my birdie on hole #5, a par-3 measuring 203 yards. Generally, my low irons were better than my high irons. It seems like I can't even hit a green with a wedge in my hands. Overall, the bright spots were few and far between.

Score: 102
Putts: 39
Fairways: 7
Greens: 5
Penalties: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment