September 23, 2012

Like Old Times at Kedron Dells

Kedron Dells is a course that punished me many times in my early days as a golfer. Back then, I played a big slice with my driver, which meant I gave away a lot of distance. My low irons were also weak, so I was at a huge disadvantage on long holes, of which there are plenty at Kedron. By 2009, my game was much stronger, and I finally managed a decent round at the Oshawa area course. Perhaps because I was satisfied with that personal victory, I hadn't returned to Kedron Dells...until now.

Teeing off in the mid afternoon, I began hole #1 with a strong drive to the right side of the fairway, followed by a low stinger to just past the 200 yard marker. From 190 yards out, I failed to recognize how much the ball was above my feet and hit my next shot fat. My next approach attempt from 150 yards was short and left of the green. A pitch shot over a bunker got me safely on the green, but I then 3-putt for a disappointing triple-bogey. I made some god shots along the way, but the result was terrible nevertheless.

The result was also terrible on the next three holes. A duffed 3-iron off the tee started things poorly on hole #2, while another 3-putt ruined hole #3. It didn't matter that some good shots were sprinkled along the way. I collected a quadruple and triple-bogey for my efforts. Hole #4 was playing impossibly long. At 444 yards, this par-4 is lengthy to begin with. A stiff wind made it play even longer. A sculled chip contributed to another triple-bogey.

It wasn't until hole #5, a 195-yard par-3, that I got a decent result. I hit a pure 3-iron just left of the green. My chip rolled well past the hole, so I followed up with a 2-putt for bogey. I also bogeyed hole #6, a par-5, after a nice up and down from 140 yards.

On hole #7, a par-4 measuring 340 yards, I exploded for a score of 13. I didn't even play out the hole properly, as I was holding up a pair of golfers playing behind my group. I pulled a 5-wood off the tee into some trees, then duck-hooked a wild one in the same direction when I re-teed. Every once in a while, I try a fairway wood to see if I can regain some control with them, only to be woefully disappointed.

I finished the front nine with a score of 63. What could I say? I was absolutely toasted over the first four holes. The debacle on hole #7 was just an extra burn to make sure I was done for the day.

I shot a better score of 50 on the back nine, which would have been better if not for a quadruple-bogey on hole #17, the course's signature par-5. Over the back nine, my irons were actually very good, much like they were at Willow Valley. The short backswing and a bit of wrist cock let the club do the work, producing straight shots that felt very nice. My short game was also good, as I collected only 14 putts. Still, I had some bad misses every now and then, which nullified all the good shots.

My golf game is in bad shape. There's no other way to say it.

Score: 113
Putts: 35
Fairways: 4
Greens: 1
Penalties: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment