July 23, 2013

Pain in the Neck at Wolf Run

There's always something. Whether it's rushing to make a tee time, forgetting to wear your contact lenses, or any number of physical ailments, something unexpected always emerges to ruin your golf game. A few weeks ago, I struggled with my grip, thanks to a small cut on my left thumb. Seriously? Trust me, my golf game is bad enough. I don't need ridiculous injuries to complicate matters, no matter how slight.

My latest round was played at Wolf Run Golf Club, located in Janetville, Ontario, on the eastern shores of Lake Scugog. It was my first ever visit to the club, so I was really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, I had developed severe neck and back pain a couple days earlier. I slept in an unusual position for a couple of nights, which must have caused the problem. I practised some swings at home with no ill effect, so I figured I could play through the discomfort. With any luck, my neck and back might even loosen up after some swings.

All I can say is it didn't happen. I was able to take full swings with little difficulty, but the aching and tightness was ever-present. If I drove the cart too quickly over a bump, I felt a sharp pain. Ditto when I leaned over into my putting position. Heck, the pain would even arise whenever I took a deep breath. With my head turned at a certain angle, or my arms and shoulders in a certain position, the pain was most severe. It was awful and no amount of stretching made any difference.

As for the course, I quite liked it. It's a shame I couldn't really enjoy it because of the neck and back issues. Holes are of varying length, allowing for different clubs off the tee or on approach shots. There are straight holes and doglegs in both directions. Mature trees form chutes at a number of teeing grounds. Landing zones are generally fair in size. Bunkers and a little bit of water add some interest. The course was in good condition, with nice fairways, rough, and especially greens.

While I was figuring out if I would be able to actually play the round, I experienced some big scores. I wasn't really upset, as I was more concerned about my state of health. I exploded for a 10 on hole #4, a short but tight par-4. I can't believe that hole is only the #13 handicap. Forest pinches both sides of the fairway, making the tee shot very tough. I pulled my first into the trees left. A provisional found the trees right. I made very good contact on both of those shots, but was off line in both cases by a single degree. I never found the first ball, but did find the provisional. Unfortunately, I had no opening to get out of the trees. On my fourth attempt, I finally punched back to the middle of the fairway.

I made some good shots early, but they were all for naught. My second on hole #1, a par-5, was a beautiful 5-wood from the right rough that travelled deep to the centre of the fairway. From 100 yards out, I pulled a wedge 20 yards left of the green. I hit a nice driver on hole #5, another par-5, but that was followed by a topped 5-wood. I hit a great 6-iron off the back of the green from the right rough on hole #6, but that came after a sliced drive off the tee that ended up lost.

It wasn't until holes #8 and #9 that I strung some good shots together from tee to cup. Hole #8 is a 239-yard par-4 with a 90-degree dogleg left. Trees prevent you from going for the green off the tee. I hit an 8-iron to the 75-yard marker in the fairway. A lob wedge shot settled at the back of the green, while the pin was at the front. I made a nice lag and tapped in for par. On hole #9, a slightly more conventional par-4 at 341 yards, I hit a drive to the fairway, leaving 80 yards to the pin. I bumped one up flag high, then 2-putt once again for par.

The back nine produced a couple of pars, four bogeys, a double, and two triples. I made plenty of good shots, but a couple of bad ones cost me some strokes. I found a hazard off the tee on hole #10, then smacked a nearby tree on my approach later on. A 3-putt on that hole didn't help matters. I found the forest right of the fairway on hole #14, but saved bogey with a 50-yard pitch and 12-foot breaking putt. On #16, I duffed a layup attempt from the right rough, which ruined the hole. I duffed a couple of approaches from within 50 yards on hole #18, but made up for it by chipping in for par from below the cup.

In the end, the story of the day was the neck and back trouble. My score ended up being what I've averaged all year, which is surprising given the pain I had to put up with. Early on, I thought I might end up scoring 115, so I guess it turned out reasonably well. After my last round, I set a goal of ten consecutive rounds with a score less than 100. Well, I failed at that instantly, and nobody (including me) really cares whether my back had anything to do with it.

Score: 103
Putts: 37
Fairways: 5
Greens: 4
Penalties: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment