September 16, 2013

Up in Flames at Dragon's Fire

With my latest round at Dragon's Fire Golf Club, the Deepwoods season came to an end. That the season would be a failure was never in doubt; in the previous four rounds, I amassed a measly point total and was wallowing at the bottom of the standings. However, I was clinging to the hope that I could pull off one good round to salvage something from a lost campaign – maybe just a shred of pride. I had done as much in 2011, when I managed to score 83 in the final Deepwoods event at Willow Valley. Unfortunately, there was none of that this time around.

In the early going, the round looked like it might be something special. After a double-bogey on the opening par-4 hole, I rattled off four consecutive pars. I was punishing the fairways and making some nice approaches. Luck was also on my side, as some mis-hits (a couple of balls caught thin) ended up very near the pins. Even the opening double-bogey featured some great shots. I push-sliced my first tee shot into the woods right, but hitting my third from the tee, I striped one down the middle, leaving 75 yards to the green. Next, I hit a lovely lob wedge, settling four feet from the pin tucked away at the extreme back right. I missed the putt, hence the double.

On hole #2, a 170-yard par-3, I hit a 7-iron just past the front flag position. I curled a downhill breaking putt to the edge of the cup, but needed a tap-in to par out. On hole #3, a par-4, I hit a great drive to the right centre of the fairway, leaving just 90 yards to the green. I hit the lob wedge thin, bounding off the back of the green. No problem, as I cozied the ball very near the cup with a deft chip. Another par was the result. Carrying on, I pummelled a drive right down the centre on hole #4. The 290-yard blast left me with another 90-yard approach. I caught the lob wedge pure, dropping at the back of the green. A good 2-putt produced par. On hole #5, another par-4, I hit my approach from 150 yards terribly thin, but the ball rolled through the green opening and settled 15 feet above the hole. I almost made the birdie, but tapped in for par.

After my drive on hole #6, yet another par-4, I was in the right fairway just 75 yards from the green. The next shot killed my momentum badly. The grass in that area was worn away, so I was hitting from dirt that was also pretty hard. Somehow, I slid the wedge under the ball, sending it just a few yards ahead and to the right. The ball hit the cart path and bounced into the woods. It was unplayable, so I took a penalty stroke and drop. My next shot had to carry a large bunker to reach the green. I hit it reasonably well, but caught the embankment on the other side of the bunker and the ball rolled in. I got out of the bunker well, finishing just off the opposite side of the green, but reasonably close to the flag. I made a good chip and putt to salvage triple-bogey.

Suddenly, the magic was gone. My drive on hole #8 tailed off slightly into the trees and the ball was unplayable. Approaching the green, I found myself in another bunker. At 60 yards out, I was trying to pick the ball clean, but I caught some sand and just managed to get out. My first 3-putt of the day led to another triple-bogey. I bogeyed hole #8, a par-5, without any major trouble. Unfortunately, I took a double-bogey on hole #9, a 149-yard par-3 over water. I felt uncomfortable with my practice swing, but went ahead and pushed one into the middle of the pond. After a great start, followed by a couple of shaky moments, I made the turn with a decent score of 47.

On the back nine, everything went to hell. I struggled to triple-bogey on hole #10, but what really pissed me off was the 3-putt. The exact same thing happened on hole #11 – triple-bogey, thanks to a 3-putt. I actually hit a great drive on this 378-yard par-4, finishing in the middle of the fairway, 90 yards from the green. Unfortunately, I pulled the sand wedge left among some small trees. I made par on hole #12, a short par-3, before facing hole #13, which started my final collapse.

My drive on the par-5 hole was perfect, or so it seemed. It looked like I would carry a bunker that pinches in on the left side. In fact, I caught the bunker face and rolled back near the lip. My pitching wedge caught the lip and I just managed to get out. Next, a well-struck 3-wood put me within 115 yards of the green. The problem is, I was slightly left of the fairway, blocked by thick trees and with a questionable lie. I tried to go over the trees, which in retrospect, was a mistake. With a good lie, I could get over them, but my lie was borderline, at best. I chunked one, then clipped the top of a tree and had to take an unplayable. A 3-putt finished things off with a score of 10.

I was upset after that hole, but mentally still in the game. That would change very soon. My tee shot on hole #14, a long par-3, caught a bunker left of the green. My first shot in the bunker was fat, failing to emerge from the sand. My second attempt was unintentionally picked clean and sailed into some weeds on the other side of the green. I was LIVID! This exact scenario has killed me so many times! I seriously felt like breaking something, but  did well to just walk away and try to gather my emotions. The deep breathing didn't really help, as I took two shots to get on the green and 3 putts to finish with a score of 8.

I was hot under the collar, but felt encouraged by the next hole. At 268 yards, it is a reachable par-4. Birdie was a distinct possibility the way I had been driving the ball for most of the day. With some luck, eagle might even be in play. I did everything in my power to focus on the tee shot, but it tailed off to the right and bounced a couple of yards into the trees. The ball was unplayable, so I took a penalty stroke and drop. Next, I fluffed a lob wedge from 50 yards out, finding a bunker. Snap! I tossed the wedge in disgust. Now, can you guess what happened in the bunker? My first shot in the bunker was fat, failing to emerge from the sand. My second attempt was unintentionally picked clean and sailed into some weeds on the other side of the green. I was LIVID! Damn you, stupid game, damn you! Another unplayable ball, so another penalty stroke. I pitched on to the green and 2-putt for a score of 9.

At this point, it was over. I made bogey and par on the next two holes, the par coming on a medium length par-3 over water. It was mild retribution for what transpired earlier on hole #9. On the final hole of the day, I push sliced two consecutive drives off the tee into a large pond. Hitting my fifth from the tee, I managed to hit the fairway. Nearer the green, I slid the sand wedge under the ball from 100 yards out, flaring it right and into the water again. After my third penalty stroke on the hole, I hit a picturesque approach that settled three feet from the cup. I made the putt for a score of 10. The final hole didn't upset me – all was already lost. What killed me were the bunker incidents on holes #14 and #15. Damn you, stupid game!

So, another Deepwoods season is over and I made a mess of it. I have an engraved pewter beer stein that commemorates my victory as the 2008 Deepwoods champion. I've never actually had a drink out of it, but perhaps now I should – something hard to numb the pain.

Damn you, stupid game.

Score: 110
Putts: 36
Fairways: 6
Greens: 4
Penalties: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment