August 29, 2014

Pleasant Day at Ussher's Creek

My last round was at Ussher's Creek at Legends on the Niagara. Skies were clear and temperature was moderate, with a gentle breeze every now and then. It was perfect golf weather. I ended up shooting 92, for my third best round of the year. There were moments where I felt very much in control of the golf ball, which was fantastic. Of course, I lacked that control at other times – otherwise, I would have shot 72 – but let's not get too picky about it.

Through the first four holes, I did not miss a fairway. It's nice to string together good tee shots like that. I didn't have any particular swing thoughts. I simply had a clear mind and let my instincts take over. Following my drives on holes 1 and 4, I had a mere sand wedge into the greens. It was disappointing that I sculled both shots from that close. On #4, I chipped on and nearly saved par, settling for bogey. On #1, a duffed chip attempt raised that to a double-bogey.

On hole #2, a par-5, I went for the green in two from 230 yards out. I hit a good 3-wood over some bunkers in front of the green, but the ground was damp and soft, so I got no roll whatsoever. I pitched on and 2-putt for par. I had abandoned the fairway woods in that situation for a long time, so it felt good to strike that shot well. I also made par on holes 3, 5, and 7. A couple of these were routine par-3 holes, as I nailed the green with my tee shots, took a chance at birdie, and then tapped in. The last was a short par-4 that I reached in regulation despite missing my first fairway of the day.

Hole #8 is a lengthy par 4, measuring 445 yards from the white tees. I flared my drive right of the fairway near some bunkers. Two shots were a must to reach the green from there, which I did. Unfortunately, I 3-putt for a double-bogey. My lag from far away was actually quite good, but I missed a 5-footer that would have saved bogey. I took another double-bogey on hole #9, just because of some bad luck. I hit the fairway on this par-5, then laid up to 120 yards from the green., which is fronted by Ussher's Creek. My shot with the gap wedge was pulled ever so slightly – enough to hit the opposite bank of the creek and bounce backwards into it.

The start of the back nine was a little shaky, as my tee shots began to fail me. I drove one into some trees on the right side of #10, then pulled one left on #11. That one smacked a lone tree trunk, forcing a layup to in front of the creek on my next shot. I took double bogey and triple on the first of the back nine holes.

I got back into a groove, beginning on hole #12, a par-5. Just right of the fairway after my drive, I had a good lie and decided to go for the green again. This time, the 3-wood failed me, making contact off the heel and sending the ball just a few yards ahead. I followed up with a lovely 7-iron and 2-putt for par, so no damage was done. I also made par on holes 14 and 16. A good drive on #14 set me up well on this par-5. A pure 5-iron got me to 100 yards and next I practically draped the flag with a nice sand wedge. An up and down was responsible for the par on #16, a par-3.

The momentum stopped on hole #18, as I took a triple bogey 7. My drive was weak and to the right, forcing a layup in front of the creek. Yes, it also fronts this green. The green is nestled tightly against the creek, so your approach yardage has to be perfect. I hit what looked like a perfect pitching wedge, but again hit the opposite bank and rolled backwards. After a penalty stroke and drop, I pitched on and 2-putt to close out the round.

My handicap factor dipped to 20.3 with this result, so I'm on the verge of getting back into the teens. I need a good result to break through.

Score: 92
Putts: 36
Fairways: 8
Greens: 6
Penalties: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment