May 04, 2016

More Goods at Scenic Woods

OK, I don't know how to explain this. I made my third ever visit to Scenic Woods Golf Club, which is south of Hamilton / Stoney Creek. My first visit there was in October 2014, and my second was in October 2015. On both of those occasions, I shot 85. This time around, guess what I shot? You guessed it, another 85!

To put this in perspective, consider the fact that I've scored 85 or better only 11 times in my lifetime. The fact that three of those happened at the same course is pretty remarkable. By contrast, the other eight happened at eight different courses. It's not like I play Scenic Woods a lot either – I've only played there those three times.

So what accounts for my unusual success at this particular course? If you're not familiar with it, you might assume it's a pretty easy layout. However, the data doesn't really support that. Granted, on all three occasions, I played from the white tees – a modest length of 6005 yards. Even so, the slope / rating from the whites is 129 / 69.1 – which is comparable to the other courses I play. In fact, I only played four courses with a higher slope in the entire 2015 season: Bradford Highlands (130), Twenty Valley (130), Pheasant Run (131), and Bond Head (132). I could play from the blue tees (6451 yards) at Scenic Woods, as I often play courses of similar length. My point is merely that the whites offer a challenge that is comparable to my usual efforts.

Anecdotally, I can also tell you that the course is no pushover. Yes, it begins with an open and straight par-5 that presents little difficulty, but the layout soon comes into its own, with a mix of holes that require good decision-making and shot execution. Find the wrong side of a fairway on a dogleg par-4 and you'll be blocked out by high trees. Choose the wrong club off the tee or miss hit one and you will end up in numerous water hazards. There are a number of risk / reward holes that could be either great or disastrous, depending how you play them. In short, there's plenty that can go wrong if you're spraying the ball.

So, I really have no explanation for my “mastery” over the course. I tend to start well on hole #1, the straightaway par-5, but it would be a stretch to say that this early confidence carries me through the entire round. I made par again on this hole, thanks mostly to a great drive and good approach shot from 120 yards. I bogeyed hole #2, before making pars on holes #3 and #4. Both of those required an up and down from just off the green. I couldn't get up and down from the same situation on hole #5, leading to bogey.

The only trouble had on the front nine came on hole #6, a short par-4. Though it's short, you have to decide whether to lay up off the tee to avoid a creek, or to go over it, leaving a wedge into the green. Last time, I drove the ball easily over the creek, so I decided on the same strategy. Unfortunately, my execution was lacking. I sliced the ball well right, landing near the bank of the creek where it turns up toward the green area. Thick trees on the banks of the creek prevented me from going in the direction of the green. I tried to pitch one backwards through an opening to the fairway, but barely cleared the creek due to a soggy lie. Another pitch was required to get back to the fairway. I then hit the green and 2-putt for a double-bogey.

The front nine finished with two pars and a bogey. The par results came on par-3 holes thanks to beautiful tee shots. On both occasions, I nailed the green, within 15 feet of the flag. My birdie attempts were not terrible, but a little disappointing. Still, I'll take easy pars any day. I was shooting 40 (5 over par) at the turn.

The start of the back nine proceeded much like the earlier part of the round. I went bogey, bogey, par, par on holes #10 through #13. I was hitting greens in regulation and giving myself some legitimate birdie chances. The flow was disrupted with a double-bogey on hole #14, a short par-4. I tried to lay up off the tee to avoid the ever-present creek and some trees that pinch in on the right. I hit a decent shot, but was two yards into the right rough. From that angle, I had to challenge the high trees in order to get near the green. I'm not sure why, but I sculled a 9-iron. The ball was headed for the creek, but struck the iron work of the bridge and came directly backwards. In a slightly tougher situation, I managed to get a PW over the trees, just right of the green. A chip and two putts finished off the double.

I made par on two of the remaining four holes, but sandwiched a pair of double-bogeys in between. On both occasions, a terrible tee shot leading to a penalty stroke was the culprit. On hole #16, a 194-yard par-3, I opened up the face of the 4-iron drastically, slicing the ball into the water hazard. On hole #17, I pulled one with the driver into an environmental area. I made good shots following these errors, but the damage was done.

In the end, I carded nine pars, five bogeys, and four doubles. Nine pars is nice, but the doubles not so much.

Score: 85
Putts: 35
Fairways: 3
Greens: 8
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment