July 18, 2017

Wolf Run Outing

My last round at Wolf Run was a solid 86, so I was looking forward to another crack at the course. I arrived 30 minutes before my tee time, but the first tee was open, so they let me start right away. I hit driver, 3-iron to start the long par-5, but still had 180 yards to the green. I pulled the 5-iron a bit, finishing in the left rough, 30 yards short. This was actually a decent spot. Unfortunately, I sculled my pitch attempt to the back of the green, while the flag was at the front. I proceeded to blast three puts well past the hole, finishing with a 4-putt triple-bogey. I guess I should have taken at least a couple putts before the round began. Oh well.

With that nonsense out of the way, I settled into some nice golf for most of the front nine. Three consecutive bogeys were followed by a nice birdie on hole #5. I went driver, 3-iron once again on this par-5, but this time I had just 90 yards remaining to the green. I hit lob wedge back and left of the flag, then drained a sold 12-footer for the bird. It was my second fabulous putt in a row. On hole #4, I followed a mediocre chip with a great putt for the up and down that saved bogey.

I went bogey, par, bogey over holes #6 through #8. The first of these bogeys was a drag, as I registered a dreaded 3-putt. Nevertheless, I was feeling good. Unfortunately, I finished the front nine just as I started it – with a triple-bogey. I was in a green side bunker on this par-4 after my first two shots. At worst, this should take one shot to get on the green and two putts to finish up for bogey. Instead, I delivered my patented clean pick out of the bunker. The ball rammed into the lip, but still finished on the other side of the green. After a weak chip, I 3-putt for good measure.

Seven pretty good holes bookended by a pair of triples. I vowed to do better on the back. The driver, 3-iron combo worked perfectly to begin hole #10, a long par-5. From 110 yards, my sand wedge came up two yards short of the green. I then 3-putt from the fringe for bogey. A string of bogeys followed me through hole #15. Actually, the string was only broken up by a double-bogey on hole #11. I was on the green of this par-3 in two, but my first putt hit a ball mark that hadn't been fixed. The ball popped a foot into the air and lost all momentum. It wasn't really fair, but those are the breaks.

I had a lovely par on hole #16, a very nice par-4. Measuring 350 yards from the white tees, you must pick the club that will leave a comfortable yardage into the green on your second shot. A water hazard crosses just in front of the green, so the second shot is critical. I hit a 260-yard drive to the centre of the fairway, leaving just 90 yards to go. My trusty lob wedge got the ball behind and to the right of the flag. From there, I made a nice lag and easy tap-in.

The bogey train resumed on hole #17, before shenanigans once again on the last hole of the day. I hit my worst drive of the day – a slice that disappeared behind some trees. There was plenty of room there, but the ground was really soft from all the rain we've had and I suspect my ball plugged somewhere. Rather than go back to the tee, I took a penalty and just dropped in that area. Up near the green, I 3-putt for the seventh time of the day, leading to a triple-bogey. Overall, it was a good day, but my lag putting prevented me from breaking 90.

Score: 93
Putts: 39
Fairways: 8
Greens: 5
Penalties: 1

1 comment:

  1. MY goodness the putting is killing you !!!

    ReplyDelete