August 17, 2018

Woodington Lake Legacy

I usually play the Legend Course at Woodington Lake, but this time I played the Legacy Course. The first four holes were rough, as I went 7 over par, thanks to a bogey and three doubles. Two good shots on the opening par-5 were followed by a wedge shot that was five yards short of the green. A chip and two putts earned the bogey. The double-bogeys all came as a result of dunking balls in the water. A 7-iron approach just failed to carry the water on hole 2. A 5-wood off the tee on hole 3 drifted right into the water on this sharp dogleg. A 3-iron off the tee on hole 4, which is a par-3, bounced off an embankment and plunged into the water hazard.

The good news is that I played the remaining five holes of the front nine just one over par. I made par on hole 5 with a lovely approach from the left rough that found a bowl on the green where the flag was located. Hole 6 produced a straightforward bogey after my second shot on the par-4 finished short and left of the green. A pitch and two putts finished the deed. I started with two terrible shots on hole 7, a sharp dogleg par-5. A couple of good wedge shots and a nice putt saved bogey. Hole 8 is the signature par 3 of the course, requiring a 140-yard carry over water. I hit 9-iron to 18 inches below the hole and drained the putt for birdie! Hole 9 resulted in par, despite a terrible drive. A beautiful 7-iron from the left rough found the green, followed by a 2-putt.

The back nine was much like the front, with good and bad holes, but the contrast wasn't so stark. I made par on hole 10, with a lovely second shot from a bunker that finished flag high on the green. Then I struggled with a pair of back-to-back double-bogeys. A really poor drive on hole 11 went absolutely nowhere. It took two more shots to reach the green on this par-4, but I still wasn't on the putting surface. Hole 12 is another par-3 that's all carry over water. This one was playing 166 yards. I played a 7-iron that was drawing nicely, but was shocked when it touched down in the water one yard short of the embankment. I guess I missed the sweet spot.

I made a boring bogey on hole 13, but followed up with pars on holes 14 and 15. The first of these is a par-5 that began with a hugely sliced drive. I was actually hitting my second from the Legend Course, when I hoisted one over the trees and back to the proper fairway, 107 yards from the green. A lovely wedge shot rolled left of the hole, but I made a good 2-putt to finish up. Hole 15 is a par-3, merely 110 yards. It was playing even shorter with a front pin position and my tee shot actually came up five yards short of the green. No problem, as I chipped on and made a short breaking putt.

I had a disastrous quadruple-bogey on hole 16. It was one of those holes where one error follows another. My tee shot was lost to the right, I duffed an approach from 170 yards, sculled another one from 140, and made a weak putt from the back fringe. Hole 17 wasn't much better, as a poor pitch shot and my only 3-putt of the day produced a double-bogey. Fortunately, I made par on the last hole of the day, a par-5. A good drive was followed by a duffed shot that went 40 yards. Luckily, I was beside the 150-yard stick and was able to find the green with an 8-iron. A beautiful lag putt allowed me to finish with an easy tap-in.

Score: 91
Putts: 33
Fairways: 3
Greens: 6
Penalties: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment