August 04, 2019

Going Low at Hornby Glen

I went low at Hornby Glen with a final score of 84. Most of that was attributable to the front nine, where I shot 39. It would have been 37, if not for a couple of unnecessary 3-putts. One came on hole 5, turning a certain bogey into a double. My first putt was uphill and came up a bit too short. The other was on hole 9, transforming an easy par into a bogey. My first putt on that one was downhill, and I blew it well past the hole.

Offsetting those incidents were a couple of nice birdies. On hole 1, a 352-yard par-4, I hit driver to left fairway, followed by lob wedge just behind the flag. I curled an 8-foot putt into the centre of the hole. On hole 8, a 138-yard par-3, I hit 8-iron just past the back pin position. I got a read on the putt from my fellow competitor, and drained a 10-footer convincingly.

A few nice pars rounded out my front nine. On hole 3, I hit driver to the centre of the fairway, but thinned a gap wedge slightly, rolling off the back of the green. Fortunately, I got up and down, mostly on the strength of the putt. On hole 4, a 146-yard par-3, my 9-iron was all over the flag, finishing 12 feet behind. I just missed the birdie, settling for a tap-in par. On hole 7, I hit 3-iron to the centre of the fairway, followed by sand wedge to the right side of the green. I made a tricky 2-putt look easy from there.

I was on pace to match my best score ever, and early on the back nine I kept it rolling. Hole 10 is a par-5 that produced par. Driver, 5-iron started things perfectly, but lob wedge barely found the green, leaving a healthy distance to the hole. I did very well to 2-putt from there. Hole 11 is a 156-yard par-3. My 8-iron was about flag high and I gave the birdie a chance, but just missed.

Back-to-back bogeys cooled things off a bit on holes 12 and 13. My third shot into hole 12, which is a par-5, found the green, but I was once again far from the hole. This time, I succumbed to a 3-putt. Hole 13 is a par-3 and I simply pushed my tee shot right of the green. Bogey from that position was a reasonable expectation.

It was hole 14 that derailed my chance at a best ever score. I duffed my drive on this par-4, then pushed a 5-wood right of the fairway near some trees. The green was blocked, so I hit back to the fairway 50 yards from the green. A shot hit fat went nowhere. My fifth shot was better, setting up a makeable putt. Unfortunately, it lipped out and I took a triple-bogey.

The final four holes were played at bogey pace, with two bogeys, a double-bogey, and a par. The par was nice and came on hole 17, a 383-yard par-4. I bombed a drive over some pesky fairway bunkers, coming to rest in the centre of the fairway, 100 yards from the green. Sand wedge set up a legit birdie chance. I made a good attempt, but it didn't drop.

The double-bogey was on the final hole, thanks mostly to a drive that I sliced right into the fescue. There is no finding balls there, so I was forced to take a penalty. I nearly recovered with a decent 4-iron into the green, but it drifted right into a bunker and I needed three more strokes to finish.

Overall, a good result though.

Score: 84
Putts: 36
Fairways: 7
Greens: 9
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment