July 18, 2020

First Visit to Chedoke

Chedoke Golf Club in Hamilton features two 18-hole courses: Martin and Beddoe. Neither is particularly long, but Beddoe manages to reach 6,084 yards as a par-70, which isn't bad. I'm always looking for new courses to play, so I decided to give Beddoe a try.

I shot 44 on the front nine, with four pars, two bogeys, two double-bogeys, and a triple. One of the pars came on the opening par-4, after a 4-iron, 8-iron combination got me safely to an elevated green. The next was on hole 5, a 459-yard par-5. Driver, 5-iron were as lovely as can be, taking me to the right fairway, just a pitch shot away from the green. I got up and down for par on hole 8, a short par-3. Finally, I made par on hole 9, an uphill par-5, despite a poor second shot.

The trouble on the front nine came mostly on par-3 holes. I thinned my tee shot on hole 3 into a penalty area that needed to be carried. After a penalty and drop, I missed the green, chipped on and 2-putt for triple-bogey. On hole 6, which measures 206 yards, my tee shot was in some trees short and right. I punched under some branches, but my ball got caught up in the rough near the green apron. A chip and two putts earned a double-bogey.

The most disappointing result was a double-bogey on hole 4, a 357-yard par-4. The fairway rises slightly, before cresting and going back down to the green. Not knowing the course, I just aimed for the middle of the fairway and let it rip with driver. It was perfectly straight and absolutely crushed. I walked up to the landing area to find that the fairway ended 150 yards from the green. From there, the terrain dropped off steeply to a creek that crossed in front of the green. My ball was near the bottom of the hill, 100 yards from the green. I had a downhill lie in the rough and needed to get the ball airborne quickly to clear the creek. Of course, I thinned the ball right into the penalty area. Talk about bad luck. I hit a perfect drive and was penalized for it!

I shot 42 on the back nine, with four more pars, three bogeys, and two doubles. Hole 10 is a long par-4 measuring 454 yards. The good news is it plays downhill. My drive didn't quite reach the main down slope, so I had 190 yards remaining to the green on my second shot. I hit a nice 4-iron just right of the green. I almost chipped in for birdie, but tapped in for par.

I made a textbook par on hole 12, a par-4, by hitting the fairway, then the green in regulation, before 2 putting. Par on hole 14, a 516-yard par-5, was anything but textbook. My first two shots were wild ones that ended up in an opposite fairway. Luckily, I closed out strongly. The last par of the day came on the final hole, thanks to a lovely up and down from 100 yards away. The putt was a perfectly judged breaker from 8 feet away.

Trouble on the back nine was relatively minor. On hole 13, a 176-yard par-3, my tee shot settled in the front left bunker. I got out safely, but the ball rolled into the rough on the opposite side of the green. A very average chip was then followed by two putts for double-bogey. On hole 16, a 356-yard par-4, my drive leaked right into the woods, forcing me to take a penalty stroke. I played the remaining shots well enough, but the damage was already done.

Beddoe was okay. I won't be in any rush to go back, but I will under the right circumstances.

Score: 86
Putts: 33
Fairways: 6
Greens: 5
Penalties: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment