September 06, 2020

Braeben with a Buddy

I got to play with a buddy for the first time in a while, and we headed out to Braeben. Weather was perfect, but as always, the wind was a factor there. I played Braeben earlier this year and put on a driving clinic, finishing with a score of 87. My driving was nowhere near as good this time, but I finished with a score of 84. Does this mean that driving accuracy and distance is not important? I wouldn't go that far, but there's a lot more to the game, for sure.

I had two penalties on the day, both coming off tee shots early in the round. My drive on hole 1, a par-4, looked like a good one to the left fairway, but I couldn't find the ball. It must have hit some mounds and kicked left into the penalty area. After a drop, I hit my third left of the green. From this position, the green was severely elevated. I made a good pitch to within 6 feet, but missed the par putt and took bogey.

After an up and down for par on hole 2, a short par-3, I tried 3-iron off the tee on hole 3. It was a horrible shot that found the fescue left. After a drop, it took two decent shots to get near the green. My fifth shot was a chip, followed by two putts for an unnecessary triple-bogey. A three-putt bogey followed on hole 4, a par-3. It wasn't a bad three-putt, as I started a healthy distance from the cup.

Holes 5 through 7 are the ones that gave me trouble last time I played the course. This time, I handled them much better, going par, bogey, bogey. I definitely learned from the previous experience. My approach on hole 5 was more conservative, finishing off the front right side of the green. From there, I played a lovely up and down.

My approach on hole 6 was even more conservative than the last time. Instead of lofting one up in the air, where the wind can take it a mile away, I bumped a low 8-iron from 90 yards to the area in front and left of the green. A pitch and two putts sealed the bogey.

On hole 7, the dramatic par-3 from an elevated tee, I hit gap wedge instead of 9-iron, which sailed over the green and into the woods on the last occasion. This time, I finished in front and left of the green. I did mess up a pitch shot, but after a second try got up and down for bogey.

I was 7 over par through seven holes, which isn't bad, but also not great. I went 5 over par for the last eleven holes. The stretch included the final two holes of the front nine, both resulting in par. On hole 8, a par-5, I hit driver, 5-wood through the back of the green. A solid chip gave me a chance at birdie, but par it was. On hole 9, a par-4, a weak drive put me behind the proverbial 8-ball. My third shot was an 8-iron that I bumped along the ground from 75 yards to stop within 6 feet of the cup. I drained the putt for a score of 43 at the turn.

The back nine began with birdie on a par-3. I hit a fabulous 5-iron into the wind, finishing inside 8 feet. My approach shots over the next three holes weren't nearly as precise, as I failed to hit the greens in regulation. In each case, an extra shot was required to find the putting surface. One of those shots was a successful splash out of a greenside bunker. Another was a pitch from 40 yards. The final one was a much more delicate pitch from five yards off the green. In each case, two putts ensued for bogey.

I got another par on hole 14, a par-4 with a dogleg left. Driver, sand wedge carried me 10 feet left of the flag, but a solid birdie attempt just missed. I bogeyed hole 15, thanks to a 3-putt, before my next par on hole 16. This is a par-5 with a dogleg right very near the green. My drive was a short pop up, left of the fairway. A pure 8-iron, followed by a 70-yard pitch with the lob wedge carried me flag high on the left edge of the green. After a good lag putt, I tapped in for the par.

Hole 17 is a short par-4. I got away with a bad drive, managing to finish just two yards off the back of the green after my second shot. At worst, this should have been a bogey. Unfortunately, I left my chip shot well short of the hole, then blasted my first putt well past. Two more putts were required to hole out for double-bogey. It was no problem, however, as I went on to par the last hole of the day, a par-5. I hit driver, 4-iron into the wind, before finding the green with the lob wedge from 70 yards. My first putt up a steep section of green was a bit short, but I calmly drained a 5-footer to finish with a back nine score of 41.

Score: 84
Putts: 33
Fairways: 5
Greens:6
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment