November 11, 2020

Summer Weather, Summer Score

We were gifted with summer like weather in southern Ontario, so I booked as many rounds as I could. On November 9, the temperature surpassed 20 degrees Celsius and I was able to play in shorts. The scene of my round was Calerin Golf Club.

Hole 1, a par-5, resulted in par both times through the course. I missed the green in regulation both times, but was able to get up and down. A thinned 8-iron left me short of the green on the first pass, while a gap wedge missed slightly left on the second. The first chip was one that I got rolling quickly, as I had green to work with. The second was a flop that took its first bounce in the rough.

Hole 2, a par-3, produced bogey and par. Ironically, the bogey came from 108 yards, while the par came from 172 yards. I hit the green in regulation both times. On the first occasion, I faced a long uphill putt and I left it a bit too short. Two more putts were needed. On the second occasion, I left the ball flag high. It was still a fairly lengthy putt, but I lagged it nicely, then tapped in.

Hole 3, a par-4, resulted in a couple of bogeys. On the first pass, my second shot was a tad fat, finishing short of the green. My pitch was to the back of the green, leaving a very long putt. I did very well to 2-putt from here. On the second pass, my second shot rolled to the back of the green – virtually the same spot I had putt from before. This time, I needed three putts to finish.

Hole 4, a par-5, resulted in a couple of bogeys. The first time through, my third shot finished short and right of the green. A pitch and two putts completed the hole. The second time through, my third shot was pulled to a bunker 50 yards short of the green. My pitch out travelled half the intended distance and was still in a bunker. My next attempt was brilliant, setting up a 4-foot putt that I drained.

Hole 5, a par-3, produced bogey and par. I pushed a 7-iron right of the green on my first try. A pitch and two putts were needed to hole out. On the second try, the 7-iron finished right of the flag, but comfortably on the green. I made a pretty good lag and then finished with an uphill 3-footer.

Hole 6, a par-4, also produced bogey and par. I approached the green with a wedge the first time through and finished two yards short of the green. A chip and two putts ensued. I approached the green with an 8-iron the second time through and managed to find the putting surface. The birdie try didn't drop, but it was a comfortable par.

Hole 7, a par-4, also produced bogey and par. As you can see, I was playing better on the back nine. My approach shot both times through was from a similar position, with a very slight up slope. On the first attempt, I came up short of the green, setting up a chip and two putts. On the second attempt, I added a club. The ball launched high and finished very near the pin. I missed the birdie putt on the high side, settling for par.

Hole 8, a par-4, resulted in double-bogey and bogey. My only double of the day came after a short drive and a miss hit left me 50 yards short of the green. I duffed a pitch shot slightly, finishing in the rough by the green collar. A chip from there went well past the hole, requiring two putts to finish. On the second try, my drive was much better. My approach with the gap wedge finished near the spot I had chipped from earlier. This time, I was in the fringe. Unfortunately, I blasted the ball well past the hole, again requiring two putts to finish.

Hole 9, a par-4, resulted in a couple of bogeys. I matched or improved my result on every hole the second time around. Both my approach shots on Hole 9 missed the green. The first missed to the right, while my second was short. I flopped a pitch shot to the green from the right side, while playing a bump and run from in front. The bump and run finished closer to the hole, but a 2-putt was needed both times.

My final score was 85. A summer type score for a summer type day in November.

Score: 85
Putts: 35
Fairways: 5
Greens: 6
Penalties: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment