May 06, 2007

Pleasant Pheasant Run

I played at Pheasant Run Golf Club late last season for the first time. Conditions were extremely windy that day, but I really enjoyed the course and vowed to return. After a trio of rounds played in south Florida, I was back home and ready to take on the local courses. Pheasant Run seemed like a good choice, so I made the drive along Hwy 404 to Sharon, Ontario.

Once again, I kicked things off by playing the Highlands nine. After a bogey on the opening par-5, which included five well-struck balls and one that was topped, I proceeded to the second hole, a 347-yard par-4. My tee shot from the elevated tee was slightly left of target, but I managed to clear a fairway bunker that loomed ominously. My second shot seemed like a thing of beauty, bouncing on the left edge of the green, about twelve feet from the flagstick. Unfortunately, the ball trickled off the green onto a paved cart path. The slope of the path directed the ball into a wooded area, which was tricky to get out of under control. Ultimately, the unlucky turn of events resulted in double-bogey.

The rest of Highlands was a bit of a mixed bag. I made my share of good shots, but there were enough bad breaks to spoil my score. I was not misfiring completely, but the ball often ended up in some tricky locations. My putting was not particularly sharp, as I collected a trio of 3-putts.

The Midlands nine was up next, and it produced mixed results as well. Over the first seven holes, I amassed four bogeys and a par, so you might think I was doing fairly well. Too bad I also picked up a triple-bogey and quadruple-bogey along the way. The fact of the matter is you simply cannot score well when these types of results dot your scorecard.

Score: 112
Par: 73
Putts: 41
Fairways: 6
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment