May 13, 2007

Rough Day at The Country Club

Penalty stroke. Penalty stroke. No penalty stroke. Penalty stroke. Two penalty strokes. Penalty stroke. Penalty stroke. Penalty stroke. Penalty stroke. Penalty stroke. Penalty stroke. Penalty stroke.

I just described the first twelve holes I played on the West Course at The Country Club, a ClubLink golf course located in Woodbridge, Ontario. It was my first ever visit to the club, which partly explains the flurry of penalties.

Most of the penalties came as a result of terrible tee shots, as I had absolutely no control over my driver or 3-wood. Ironically, the problem was the golf lesson I had about a week earlier. I was trying to avoid the steep backswing that emerged during the lesson as my primary flaw. I was keeping the backswing on a flatter plane, but I really had no idea how the clubface was oriented during the backswing or at impact. Many of my drive attempts were off the heel of the club, rolling sharply to the left just a few yards away.

Any time you take lessons and change the fundamentals of your swing, there is bound to be an adjustment period. Ideally, one works through that period on the driving range. Unfortunately, my visits to the driving range are few and far between. The lack of practice was abundantly clear.

There was one moment of brilliance, however, on the thirteenth hole. Stretching 395 yards from the tee, this par-4 features a pair of bunkers on the left side of the fairway, near the landing zone for most golfers. My tee shot found the bunker nearest the tee, leaving the ball 185 yards from the green. The ball was sitting up well on the level sand, so I let rip with a 3-iron, in hopes of reaching the green. The ball ended up flag-high, about fifteen feet to the right of the hole. After two solid putts, I secured my only par of the day.

Score: 115
Par: 72
Putts: 37
Fairways: 0
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment