May 09, 2008

Hockley Valley Preview

Normally, I blog about my golf rounds after they've been played. This time, I thought it might be instructive to document my thoughts before a round. The idea is to analyze my pre-game psychology and degree of preparation.

I have a mid-morning tee time reserved for tomorrow at Hockley Valley Resort. This is a course I have played twice before - once at the beginning of the 2006 season, and again in early 2007. That's not a whole lot of experience, but it should serve me in good stead. Playing a course for the first time is a huge disadvantage; having just a couple of rounds under your belt makes a big difference.

For evidence, just look at my first ever round at this particular course, which I recounted in an entry titled Hockley Valley Massacre. Reading that account, it's clear that a lack of familiarity with the course was a large factor in my undoing. Playing an unfamiliar course is like playing blindly - you don't know how much the ball is going to react on sloped fairways or greens, what trouble spots to avoid, which holes to attack, or which ones to play conservatively. You don't know if yardages are marked accurately, how elevation changes affect club selection, and so on. The first time I played at Hockley Valley, it didn't help that the wind was howling and that I had a sore shoulder.

My second round at Hockley was a bit better, but nothing to write home about. Here then, are my thoughts on the holes that will make or break my round tomorrow. Along with each hole, I include what I believe to be the keys to success. Click on the hole number to view a helicopter tour of the hole in question.

Hole # 2 - Don't be fooled by the "gentle" slope of this fairway from left to right. Last year, I hit a drive to the left centre of the fairway, only to watch the ball careen all the way into the right rough, behind a tree. Aim for the very left edge of the fairway. The left rough is a better spot than the right.

Hole # 4 - This par-5 is not reachable in two, so don't even think about trying to clear the fescue-covered wall that crosses the fairway 125 yards in front of the green. Lay up and go for the green with a short iron. The approach will be completely blind, but trust your distance and you should be fine.

Hole # 7 - Aim to the left side of the fairway, and stay on the left side on your approach to the green. The hole is long, and the right front of the green is protected by a massive valley. An approach shot aimed to the left will be safe, whether it is short or long - short shots will stay in the fairway, while long ones will be collected by the hill behind the green.

Hole # 9 - If there's one Mickey Mouse hole on this course, it's this one. Keep your driver, 3-wood, and even your low irons in the bag when you tee off. A mid iron is all it takes to set up your approach on this short par-4. And for God's sake, aim your tee shot to the left side of the fairway. A shot to the centre of the fairway forces you to take a blind shot over a scary gorge, and it's hard to know the correct distance. Should you find the gorge between you and the green, follow the fairway instead. It will cost an extra stroke to reach the green, but if you make a good approach, you have a chance to 1-putt for par.

Hole # 12 - One of four par-3 holes on the back nine, and at 201 yards, the longest of all par-3 holes on the course. If you hit your tee shot straight, this hole will cause no problem at all. However, if your tee shot is errant, you're going to pay the price. Don't overswing on your tee shot. Line is more important than distance on this hole.

Hole # 16 - If you're not hitting it long and straight on the day, resign yourself to the fact that you will need three shots to reach the flag on this 476-yard par-4. Sure, it plays downhill, but the fairway tightens dramatically as you near the green. Bogey is a great score on this hole. Take it and run.

Hole # 18 - The only water on the course is saved for the last hole. Golfers must carry a stream with their approach shot, as well as a pond that guards the front right of the green. Take your time with the approach shot, as a mistake here can add some unwanted penalty strokes.

So if I follow my own advice, I should end up with a score of about 95. I guess we'll see. You know what they say about best laid plans...

No comments:

Post a Comment