May 23, 2006

Hockley Valley Massacre

Tackling a golf course you've never played before is always tough, so I approached my latest round at Hockley Valley Resort with some trepidation. Located in Orangeville, Ontario, Hockley Valley features eighteen holes of golf, neatly carved from rugged terrain. Massive elevation changes offer dramatic vistas and tend to complicate club selection, especially in windy conditions. Thick vegetation conceals any balls that stray too far from the fairways.

Early on, I was a victim of inconsistent putting surfaces. The green on the first hole was the slowest I've experienced all season. By comparison, the green on the second hole was blazingly fast. I three-putted three of the first four holes en route to a 43-putt performance, my worst of the season.

Though my problems began with putting, they quickly spread to other parts of the game. I lost balls on the seventh, eighth and ninth holes, either through errant tee shots or wayward approaches. Penalty strokes piled up quickly and it became clear this was going to be one of those "character-building" rounds.

I hesitate to use it as an excuse, but one of the factors that contributed to my poor play from the sixth hole onward was a distinct pain in my right shoulder. I had been playing with the pain for at least a month, but prior to this round it was only a mild pain that did not affect my swing. The apparent deterioration of the shoulder is now a major concern. As someone who has battled ankle and knee injuries over the last few years, I know all too well that these things can linger.

The timing of the injury could not be worse, since the DeepWoods golf tournament, my first taste of competitive golf, kicks off next weekend. Five rounds are contested on the DeepWoods tour, all at courses I have never played before. Needless to say, an injury was the last thing I needed.

Score: 124
Par: 70
Putts: 43
Fairways: 0
Greens: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment