May 01, 2006

Tree Hugging at Hunters' Glen

A good golfer will tell you that managing the game is as important as making good shots. Knowing what shots to make and when to make them can keep you out of trouble and improve your performance. For some reason, this simple truth eluded me as I played the second round of a double-header at Hunters' Glen Golf course, located in Kleinburg, Ontario.

Though I compiled my worst score of the season, a lot of things went right. To begin with, my short game was better than it has been in a while. I felt very comfortable with the pitching wedge in my hands, whether approaching from 100 yards out, or chipping from just off the green. Putting was even better, as I had no difficulty judging speed or line.

My trouble on this occasion was really game management. Errant shots on a couple of holes put me behind some trees. With very little chance of advancing the ball, I should have punched some shots sideways into the open fairways. Instead, I tried to make up for the errant shots by attacking in the direction of the greens.

The penalty for my stubborness was considerable time spent in the trees, a pair of quadruple bogeys, and a quintuple bogey to top it all off! Let's just chalk it up as a learning experience and move on.

Score: 110
Par: 72
Putts: 38
Fairways: 1
Greens: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment