May 08, 2006

Deja Vu at Granite Ridge

My latest round of golf was played at Granite Ridge Golf Club, a 36-hole facility nestled at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment in Milton, Ontario. The Escarpment looms noticeably over the property, particularly over the Ruby course, which flanks its western boundary. At 6004 yards from the back tees, Ruby is not very long, but undulating greens and the odd hazard keep it challenging.

It's a familiar setting for me, as I usually get out to Granite Ridge a couple of times per season. On this particular occasion, more than the setting seemed familiar. I experienced a distinct sense of deja vu as I walked off the 18th green, having compiled a less-than-inspirational score of 104. Six rounds into the 2006 season and I have yet to score in double digits.

As I see it, three factors contributed to the inflated outcome. First and foremost was my driving ability. After some early season success with the TaylorMade r580 driver, I found it difficult to strike the ball consistently. My old driver produced an ugly but predictable slice, which I could compensate for by aiming left of the target. I have yet to learn the nuances of the new driver, so my tee shots varied wildly from dead straight to wicked pull.

Aside from horrible tee shots, I also had some difficulty with distance control on approach shots. More often than not, I landed the ball on the center or back of the green, only to watch it bounce or roll off the back edge. That wouldn't be terrible if I happened to be chipping well, but that part of my game was also hit and miss.

The highlight of the round was a 270-yard drive on the 14th hole, thanks to a paved cart path and a lucky first bounce.

Score: 104
Par: 70
Putts: 35
Fairways: 5
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment