August 03, 2009

Mill Run Outing Eases The Pain

Okay, I feel better now. I visited Uxbridge and played the Grist / Wheel combination on the Championship Course at Mill Run Golf Club. There were a couple of bad holes, but overall I played quite consistently and managed to finish with a respectable score of 95.

A couple of par-3 holes on Grist got the better of me. On hole #3, measuring 212 yards, my second shot from the greenside bunker traveled over the green and bounced into a water hazard. I chipped on and two-putted for triple-bogey. On hole #5, my tee shot came to rest in some weeds short and right of the green. It wasn't a terrible lie, but my pitch shot travelled no more than a couple of yards. Determined to pop the ball out the second time, I flew the green and found my ball in a wooded ravine. I opted to replay the last shot (under penalty of stroke and distance). This time, I made a nice up and one-putt to save a triple-bogey.

The only other hole that gave me trouble was Wheel #1, a par-5 measuring 546 yards. It is rated as the most difficult hole on the Wheel nine, and deservedly so. Thick woods line the entire fairway on both sides. It's not narrow, but the woods still intimidate. I sliced my drive into the woods on the right side. The second shot on this hole is key. Ideally, players should advance their ball close to the end of the fairway, inside 150 yards. This is because the final approach must cross two streams to an elevated green. If players leave 170 yards to the green, as I did, it makes the final approach much more difficult. From that position, I hit the ball into the hazard, chalking up another penalty stroke. I had to settle for a score of 9 on this tough hole.

As I said, all the other holes were played quite consistently. I wasn't happy with my driving, as I was cutting the ball far too much. There were perhaps three drives that I really liked. I was happy with my iron play, though a couple of shots that I thought I hit well came up short of target. My chipping was good, including a couple that left me with easy one-putts. And finally, my putting was satisfactory, except for a two-footer that I missed on the second-last hole. Doh!

Score: 95
Par: 71
Putts: 33
Fairways: 3
Greens: 3

I should mention that the round prior to this one followed the third round of the Deepwoods Golf Association championship. Held at Dragon's Fire Golf Club, located in Carlisle, Ontario, the round was suspended due to bad weather. Before play stopped, I was six over par through six holes. It's too bad we couldn't finish, because I felt like I could score well that day. Oh well.

2 comments:

  1. Which tees did you play from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue tees, 6,324 yards, Rating/slope = 69.3/132

    ReplyDelete