August 22, 2011

Average at Ussher's Creek

I spent a week in the Niagara region, so I booked a couple of golf rounds at nearby courses. The first of these was a late afternoon outing at Ussher's Creek.

Things started well enough with a drive just off the fairway and a green in regulation on the opening par-4 hole. Unfortunately, I 3-putt from about twelve feet for a bogey. I had not taken any practice putts and as a result, blasted my first well past the hole. Shaking it off, I managed to par the next hole, which was a par-5. My drive hit the fairway and I was once again on the green in regulation. This time, I judged the speed of my lag putt correctly, leaving just a tap-in.

I was playing bogey golf through the first three holes, but the wheels came off on holes #4 and #5. I shanked my drive on #4, then pushed another off the tee into the woods right of the fairway. After tacking on my second penalty stroke of the hole, I hit two bad pitch attempts. I was just trying to get back to the fairway, but still found myself behind a tree. I reached the right side of the green with my next attempt, but followed that up with a sculled chip that ended up on the left side. I actually chipped the next one in from this position for a score of nine. On hole #5 I had different problems. My drive found a bunker and I needed two more shots just to get out. My fourth barely reached the green and I followed this up with a 3-putt for triple-bogey.

As quickly as my game went bad, it suddenly reversed course and turned good once again. I piped my drive on hole #6 to the centre of the fairway. This was a great shot, considering the pond that hugs the left side of this hole from tee to green. I missed the green to the right, but chipped on and 2-putt for bogey. Thus began a stretch of better-than-bogey golf, which lasted for twelve holes. Over this stretch, I recorded four pars, six bogeys, and two double-bogeys. Thick rough was the cause of the double bogeys, giving me trouble with my second shot on hole #15 and with my third just off the green on hole #17. Aside from that, everything was going well. I hit seven of nine fairways with the driver dialed in nicely. I added four greens in regulation, while the short game remained steady.

The streak came to an end on the final hole, which produced a triple bogey. This is a straight, 394-yard par-4. A wide creek bed crosses directly in front of the green, with severe mounding behind. My drive was a yard or two into the right rough, so I decided to take no chances. I chipped the ball to the middle of the fairway, leaving 80 yards to the flag. Unfortunately, I caught my next shot fat, sending the ball into the creek. For all of my caution, designed to avoid going into the creek, I ended up there anyway. Golf can be so unfair! After a penalty stroke, I found the green with my next shot and 2-putt to finish the round.

Overall, I was happy that I recovered from two horrific holes early. The 12-hole stretch from #6 to #17 was lots of fun. This was spoiled somewhat by what transpired on #18, but on the back of my previous round, this is another decent result.

Score: 96
Putts: 36
Fairways: 8
Greens: 6
Penalties: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment