August 05, 2011

Playing the Jester at King's Forest

After an encouraging showing at Westview, I was pumped up to return to King's Forest for my latest round. It ended up being a colossal waste of time. Every aspect of my game was poor, producing one of the worst results of the year.

I hit good drives on the first three holes, only to waste them with woeful iron shots. On hole #1, I smothered and hooked an attempted approach with the 6-iron. On hole #2, I hit more dirt than ball with the 7-iron. On hole #3, I hit the 60-degree wedge a little thin, sending the ball over the green. On hole #4, my driver abandoned me as well. Over the remainder of the round, I smothered and hooked two drives, while pulling the rest straight off the tee. These pull shots had good contact and distance, but no direction whatsoever. Apparently, straightening out the left elbow and opening up the clubface are not the cure to my driving ailment.

As I've already hinted, my irons were pathetic. I hit some good ones every now and then, but the bottom line is there were far too many mis-hits. I was struggling to keep all my iron shots from hooking. A perfect example is hole #5, a par-3 measuring 203 yards from the white tees. I have never played this hole without hooking or pulling my tee shot, either into some fescue short of the green or to the bottom of a hill flanking the green. There is absolutely no need for this! The hole plays straight away from an elevated tee and there is lots of room available. This problem with the irons surfaced earlier in the year, but I had it under control for a good chunk of the season. Now, it's back. The only clubs I can seem to shoot straight with right now are my wedges.

Pitching and chipping were okay, but still not as consistent as I would like. Many of my pitch shots worked perfectly, but there were a couple that I hit short. On a day when nothing else is working, okay just isn't good enough.

My putting left a lot to be desired. I 3-putt three of the first four holes, producing double-bogeys when bogeys should have been the result. In fact, I started the day with five consecutive double-bogeys. This had the effect of ratcheting up the pressure, which inevitably blew up with a quadruple-bogey on hole #6. The putting stayed poor for the entire round. Long lag putts were short, medium length putts just burned the edge, and a couple of short putts were also missed.

Mentally, it was a frustrating round. Nothing ever went my way. Though I had quite a few decent holes on the back nine, it was not enough to overcome the poor start, combined with a couple of blowups.

Score: 107
Putts: 41
Fairways: 3
Greens: 2
Penalties: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment