October 26, 2012

Tangling with Tangle Creek

Wow, my last post was long. What a bore! I'll keep it shorter this time.

The long term weather forecast was bleak, calling for steady rain and cold temperatures. There was one exception, a sunny and remarkably warm Thursday, so I had to take advantage of it. I found a good deal at Tangle Creek Golf Club, so I headed out for what might be my last round of the season.

I began with a great drive to the right fairway of hole #1, followed by a pitching wedge to the centre of the fairway. My lob wedge into the par-5 green drifted right of target, into a bunker. After a good out, I 2-putt for a solid bogey. Given the trouble I've had with bunker shots this season, I felt good.

I pushed an approach shot on hole #2 out of bounds, leading to a triple-bogey, but then settled into a nice groove. I hit the next two greens in regulation, 3-putting the first for a bogey, while navigating the second for par. The first putt on each hole was from distance, so the overall result was good.

Two more pars ensued on the front nine, one coming thanks to a terrific approach shot, followed by a chip and a putt, the other coming in standard fashion on a medium length par-3. A couple of bogeys also made their way to my scorecard. At the turn, I was shooting a solid 45.

I made a mess of hole #10, carding a triple-bogey after playing through the group ahead. There is always a tendency to rush in that situation. On hole #11, a par-4 playing 410 yards, I got my revenge with a sweet 320-yard drive. Sure, there was a helping wind, but I hit that shot so pure it was a thing of beauty! From 90 yards out, I hit a lob wedge close, but burned the edge of the cup on the birdie attempt. Still, par was a good result.

I made a bad decision on hole #13, opting to go for the green with my third shot on this par-5. I was 175 yards out, but there is a hazard crossing right in front of the green, with a steep slope on the opposite side. I thought seriously about laying up to 100 yards or so, but didn't do it. This set off a sequence of events that lead to a quadruple-bogey. I also made a bad decision on the tee of hole #14, hitting driver into a pond on this short par-4.  Chalk that one up to lack of familiarity with the course. The good news is I hit a perfect 6-iron after taking a drop and salvaged bogey.

I held it together for the rest of the round, recovering from some bad shots with some very good ones. I hit some pure irons, nice chips and another good bunker shot. The latter came from a very difficult stance, with one foot inside the bunker and the other outside. While the back nine was not nearly as good as the front nine, I managed things well enough to finish with a satisfying score of 95.

This year, I'll take that!

Score: 95
Putts: 35
Fairways: 4
Greens: 4
Penalties: 6

No comments:

Post a Comment