November 13, 2012

Last Hurrah at King's Forest

My last two rounds of golf were quite satisfactory, so with the weather getting too cold to play, I was content to let the season end on something of a high note. However, an uncharacteristically warm day proved to be too tempting. I snagged a perfect tee time at King's Forest – a course I've come to like quite a bit over the past couple of years.

For the first seven holes, it looked like a smart decision. I collected two pars and five bogeys primarily by staying out of trouble. I hit a good drive on hole #1 and a rocket on hole #2, leaving just 100 yards to the flag from the middle of the fairway. A 3-iron off the tee on the short hole #3 was hit off centre, but I was still in the middle of the fairway, 160 yards from the flag. The driver served me well on hole #4, a par-5, while the 3-iron came around with a pretty good tee shot on hole #5, a long par-3.

I played safely, not only from the tee, but also on approach shots. I took a cluster of trees fronting the right side of the first green out of play by laying up to the left, 30 yards short. I avoided woods that pinch the left side of the sixth fairway by taking quite a bit off my swing and aiming right. When I needed a chip shot, I focused simply on making the greens. This avoided any duffs or sculled shots. My putting was solid, as I 2-putt all holes, except for one that required three strokes from distance after hitting the green in regulation.

The turning point came on the tee of hole #8. This is not a difficult hole, a straightaway par-4 measuring just 358 yards. I opted for driver and topped the ball badly, dribbling into the bush just below the slightly elevated tee. I was forced to take a penalty and hit my third off the tee once again. I smacked a beautiful drive to the centre of the fairway, leaving 100 yards to the flag. I was proud of myself for following up a terrible shot with a great one. The feeling didn't last long, however, as I completely duffed my next two shots. With my sixth shot, I finally reached the green, then 2-putt for a momentum shattering score of eight.

Though I felt like I put the hole behind me immediately, I hit a badly pulled drive off the very next tee. A sideways chip to the fairway was followed by a weak approach that came up short. After a medium length pitch shot, I 3-putt for a triple-bogey. Through seven holes, my score was a very nice 33. After just two more holes, I was at 48. Ugh!

Still, I was comfortably on pace to break 100, so I pressed on. I made bogey on hole #10 before entering the hardest stretch of the course. Holes #11 through #13 didn't destroy me completely (that would happen on the very tame hole #14), but they definitely put a chink in my armour. On #11, I flared my first tee shot right, but less so than one of my playing partners. The area was full of leaves and while I managed to find my partner's ball, I did not find my own. Typical. I was forced to continue with the provisional I had played earlier, and finished the hole with a triple-bogey as a result.

I mis-hit a 3-iron off the tee on hole #12, but it put me in a position to hit a 9-iron, gap wedge to about a yard or two off the back left of the green. A chip and 2-putt produced a double-bogey. A perfect 4-iron off the tee on hole #13 was followed by an 8-iron to a greenside bunker. I hit the sand shot way too thin and sailed 30 yards past the green into the weeds. Next, I hit an amazing shot to make the green. I 2-putt for another double-bogey.

I was hanging in there, but the next hole was my undoing. A poor pitching wedge shot on this short par-3 left me between two large tree trunks left of the green. Going straight at the flag meant flying over a bunker, and I had no backswing on that line. I made a good decision to aim away from the flag, avoiding the bunker altogether, just looking for a piece of the green. Unfortunately, I mis-hit the ball completely and it ended up – you guessed it – in the bunker. Sheesh! The worst part was that this bunker looked like it had been hit by mortar fire. There were massive footprints all over that had not been raked. Of course, my ball was right in one. I took three shots to get out of that bunker and two of them were from giant holes. For patrons to leave the bunker in that condition is absolutely inconsiderate and unacceptable. I ended up with a quadruple-bogey and was psychologically done for the day.

I closed out the round with four consecutive double-bogeys, as I was no longer focused and knew that breaking 100 was unlikely. It's a shame because the round began with such promise. So, instead of ending the season feeling good about a couple of rounds, I ended it with another disappointment. Sigh.

Score: 104
Putts: 38
Fairways: 5
Greens: 3
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment