June 22, 2015

Golfing in Paris

I've been playing regularly, but haven't updated the blog in a while, so it's time to catch up. A week and a half ago, I headed out to Paris Grand for a morning round. I like the course and would probably play it more if it was a little closer to home. I played most of the front nine alone, with a couple of groups letting me play through. That came to an end on hole #9, so I dropped back to rejoin the twosome that let me through on the previous hole. We played the rest of the round together and it was a good time.

I started the round with a couple of nice pars. Driver, mid-iron and sand wedge got me safely to the green on the opening par-5. On hole #2, a short par-4, two consecutive 8-irons did the trick. After some solid lag putts, I was left with simple tap-ins. Sometimes, though admittedly not often, it all seems so easy. Double-bogey and bogey brought me back to reality over the next two holes, but it was hole #5 that punched me in the face. I flared two consecutive 5-woods out of bounds off the tee. They weren't horrific shots, but they drifted just enough to escape the property. A par, sandwiched between two bogeys, got me back on track over the next three holes. The par on hole #7 was sweet, as this is rated the most difficult hole on the course. After hitting the left side of the fairway with driver, I hit a nice 6-iron uphill into the heart of the green on this par-4.

Hole #9 is the second of two consecutive par-5 holes that finish up the front nine. I hit a 280-yard drive to the perfect spot, catching the slope of a large hill that directed the ball back to the centre of the fairway. If you're too short on your drive, you have to pitch the ball just a few yards, in order to traverse a huge ravine with your third shot. If you have sufficient length but are too far left, trees block you out, forcing a similar pitch on your second shot. There was none of that for me, as I was in position “A”.  From 220 yards, I was salivating at the chance to go for the green in two. Perhaps I was too anxious – I topped the 5-wood badly and dunked it in the ravine. The hole had a promising start, but I finished it with a triple bogey. My score at the turn was 50.

The back nine was played at bogey pace, with a couple of pars offsetting a couple of double-bogeys. One of the doubles came on hole #12, rated the hardest hole on the back nine. There is a long forced carry off the tee, but the other challenge is that it also demands a draw. Even slight fades will find the woods on the right. Tall trees on the left side prevent you from starting the ball to that side. I got through the hole in an ugly fashion, but the damage wasn't too bad. It enabled me to finish strong over the last three holes.

Hole #16 is a beastly 450-yard par 4. I reached the green in regulation with a driver, sand wedge combination! Yes, I went into the green with sand wedge! The fairway is split, with the cart path snaking up right through the middle. I actually aimed for the cart path, figuring I would hit the fairway whether I missed to the left or to the right. Instead, I hit my exact target, taking a nice bounce and travelling 350 yards. LOL. After getting on in regulation, I made a spectacular lag that stopped 4 inches from the cup. Needless to say, it was an easy par putt.

Hole #17 is a 146-yard par-3 from an elevated tee. The green mostly falls away from you, making it difficult to hold if you come in too low. I hit a controlled pitching wedge to the green centre, left of the flag. I had sufficient loft that the ball landed softly and didn't release. From there, I made a great uphill lag and easy tap-in for par. After a great drive and lob wedge combination, I was poised to make a third consecutive par on hole #18. Unfortunately, my birdie attempt slid well past the hole. I burned the edge on the comebacker, settling for bogey. Still, I was reasonably happy with my final score.

Score: 95
Putts: 37
Fairways: 7
Greens: 5
Penalties: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment