July 03, 2018

A Top 10 Performance at Victoria Park East

My Top 10 rounds of all time list has to be revised, thanks to my latest result at Victoria Park East. While my final score of 84 just squeaks into the Top 10, this round rivals many of those on the list. Considering that I had a pair of triple-bogeys, the result could have been even better. If just a couple of pitch shots held the greens, the final tally would have been 81. That's Top 3 material we're talking about.

Which of the following doesn't fit? Par, bogey, par, bogey, par, bogey, par, par, triple-bogey. That's how the front nine played out. Driver, 3-wood got me very near the green on the opening par-5. After a nice pitch, I missed a legit birdie chance. On hole 3, I nailed the green from the left rough with a lovely iron shot. Hole 5 featured a great second shot through some trees. I got up and down on that hole and on numbers 7 and 8. Two out of three bogeys only occurred because of 3-putts. On hole 2, I played too much break on my first attempt. On hole 6, I just started a long way from the hole.

My drive on hole 9 was a little loose, finishing in some trees right of the fairway. I attempted a low punch that didn't completely escape the trees. My third shot was a good one to an area left of the green. Unfortunately, my subsequent 40 yard pitch rolled off the green. I think I lost my focus a little, as I blasted my first putt way past the hole. Two more were required to close out the front nine with a score of 42.

Which of the following doesn't fit? Bogey, double-bogey, par, par, par, par, par, bogey, triple-bogey. That's how the back nine played out. That run of pars felt particularly good. Holes 12 and 13 featured birdie putts, but they were fairly lengthy. Hole 14 offered the best chance at birdie, after an approach with the 60-degree wedge hit the green and zipped back to within 6 feet of the cup. It was a straight birdie putt that I pulled ever so slightly. The pars on 15 and 16 came with the help of up and downs.

I hit a conservative drive on hole 18, which was the correct play. My ball trickled a foot into the left rough. From 185 yards away, I tried hitting 5-wood to the elevated green. I somehow hooked the ball, hitting some trees near a creek, 40 yards short of the green. A pitch and two putts was my goal, but my pitch shot rolled to a hill behind the green. I sculled my chip from the awkward lie, then went a little too far past the hole with my comebacker. Two putts finished up the dreaded triple. Still, I was happy with the overall outcome.

Score: 84
Putts: 33
Fairways: 6
Greens: 7
Penalties: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment