June 23, 2018

First Visit to Hornby Glen in a Decade

Wow, the last time I played Hornby Glen was ten years ago! I headed there recently and got off to a good start, shooting 43 on the front nine. I made par on holes 2, 6 and 8. The first two of these are par-5 holes, while the latter is a par-3. The best result on the front nine was birdie on hole 3, a par-4. I drove the ball to the left side of the fairway, then stuck a gap wedge flag high. I judged the downhill putt perfectly.

Although the front nine was good, it wasn't perfect. I made a trio of double-bogeys, for various reasons. On hole 1, I drove my tee shot into some thick fescue. On hole 4, I pulled my tee shot and it rolled into a drainage ditch left of the green. On hole 9, I flared a wedge right of the flag, missing the green. A poor chip and three putts made a mess of what should have been an easy par.

On the back nine, the pars disappeared, while the double-bogeys persisted. The first double was on hole 11, a par-3. I hit a gorgeous 7-iron off the tee, but it was so pure that it bounced off the very back of the green into a bunker. I tried to pick a couple of shots clean out of the sand with disastrous results. Such is my fear of hitting a proper bunker shot. I had three doubles in a row on holes 13 through 15. A pulled 5-wood on the first of these found the thick fescue. A poor wedge shot and a duffed drive attempt were the culprits on the next two holes.

Fortunately, the back nine also featured another birdie. It was on hole 17, a 383-yard par-4. I hit a laser drive just past a fairway bunker on the right, with my ball finishing in the middle of the fairway, 90 yards from the green centre. I caught my next shot with the lob wedge a tad thin, finishing near the back of the green. No problem, as I calmly drained a downhill breaking putt, much to the amazement of my fellow competitors. It was nice to get two birds for the day.

A bogey on the final hole and my score was 90. Should have been sub-90 for sure. Next time!

Score: 90
Putts: 35
Fairways: 3
Greens: 5
Penalties: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment