June 10, 2018

Fairways Shmairways at Lowville

The weather was cool and comfortable at Lowville Golf Club. I could not hit my driver to save my life. Some of my drives were low runners that worked out just fine, such as on holes #1 and #4, a pair of par-5 holes that resulted in bogey and par, respectively. Other drives were low pulls that barely went anywhere, such as on holes #2 and #9. The first of these left me on some massive mounds with terrible lies, en route to triple-bogey. The second required a follow-up with the 5-wood, just to save a double-bogey.

Aside from those two holes, the rest of my front nine was nice, with a pair of pars and five bogeys. I did it with serviceable iron shots, chips and putts. I got up and down for par on holes #4 and #5. I also got up and down on holes #7 and #8, but those were for bogeys. The new driver I acquired in the off season was causing me grief, while the new putter I acquired was bailing me out. I made the turn shooting a respectable 46.

The back nine was much the same as the front. A horrible drive attempt on hole #10 put me in trouble right off the bat. A weird shot from the rough, 150 yards from the green, went inexplicably sideways. Another bad drive on hole #11 came with the 5-wood. Each attempted recovery shot left me in a worse position. I finished both holes with triple-bogeys. I only figured out the driver on hole #18, and thankfully so. The drive is all carry over marsh land, with no tolerance for a miss hit.

Aside from the first two holes, the rest of the back nine was fine, producing a birdie, two pars and four bogeys. While the driver was failing, the 5-wood was a good recovery club. Iron shots were working well and the short game was excellent. Up and downs were the story again, resulting in bogey on hole #12 and par on #17. The birdie was on hole #14, after a drive to the left rough, followed by a 9-iron to within 6 feet. The downhill putt found the centre of the cup. My back nine score was 44.

Score: 90
Putts: 30
Fairways: 2
Greens: 2
Penalties: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment