June 04, 2018

Disasters Early at Century Pines

Blowup holes came early this time at Century Pines. My second shot on the opening par-5 was headed out of bounds, but a favourable bounce off a tree kept the ball in play and I finished with a bogey. I wasn't so lucky on the next two holes, recording a pair of quadruple bogeys. I messed up my drives, as well as simple pitch shots that were attempts to get back to safety. A thinned approach on hole #3 hit the cart path and went OB.

The rest of the front nine was fine, including pars on a couple of par-3 holes. One is short and simple, while the other is fairly lengthy, with a forced carry over a meandering creek. Most of the other holes produced bogey. I recovered well after mediocre drives on holes #6 and #8. A towering 7-iron over the trees on #6 was particularly impressive. I took double-bogey on hole #9, mostly because my second shot drifted right, behind a tree. I was forced to chip the ball ten yards sideways to get back in play.

The start of the back nine was a little disappointing, with three double-bogeys over the first four holes. A couple of these are real scoring holes, so I blew an opportunity. A sand wedge approach on hole #11 amazingly carried 40 yards further than normal, finishing up in a water hazard, albeit playable. Par, bogey were good results on holes #14 and #15, but then I succumbed to holes #16 and #17, among the hardest on the course. A double and another quad were the result. I need to find a way to avoid the trees on #17 that sit just left and ahead of the teeing ground. Bogey finish on the final hole was okay, but I couldn't keep my score under 100.

Score: 101
Putts: 33
Fairways: 7
Greens: 1
Penalties: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment