October 07, 2020

More Putz than Putts at Calerin

My latest round was at Calerin Golf Club, a 9-hole course that you can play twice for the full 18-hole experience. Here's how I played each hole, with the results of both passes shown.

Hole 1 (Par 5) – Par, Par

I employed a weaker than normal grip with my driver to see if I could gain some consistency. I missed this fairway to the left both times, but managed on each occasion to hit a mid iron back to the fairway. My first approach missed the green left, while my second found the heart of the putting surface. I was very lucky to get up and down on the first pass, despite a sculled pitch attempt.

Hole 2 (Par 3) – Par, Double

A sand wedge from 108 yards finished below the hole and was followed by a conventional 2-putt. An 8-iron from about 150 yards was hit so fat that the ball travelled just 40 yards or so. That was followed by a good sand wedge shot, but the ball bounced into a bunker long and left. I hit a respectable bunker shot, but was not very near the hole, requiring two putts to finish up.

Hole 3 (Par 4) – Bogey, Double

Using the weaker grip, my drive found the right edge of the fairway on both occasions. A great 5-iron barely hung up in the rough left of the green. I aimed there to avoid water on the right. After a good chip, I burned the edge of the cup on the low side. I topped a 4-iron approach the second time through, then hit pitching wedge to the safe left side. Again, I made a nice chip, but burned the edge on my putt, this time on the high side.

Hole 4 (Par 5) – Bogey, Double

I hit a perfect drive to the middle of the fairway, then hit a 4-iron fat. Too far to go for the green, I played a layup to about 100 yards. The second time through, my drive hit the top of the club face and popped up. Two good shots carried me to a similar position as the first time. On the first occasion, I found the green and 2-putt. On the second, I missed slightly and 3-putt from the fringe.

Hole 5 (Par 3) – Bogey, Bogey

A solid 9-iron into the green was followed by a bad 3-putt. I left my first putt way short and my second burned an edge – which happened over and over on the day. The next time, I pushed a 7-iron short and right of the green. I sculled a pitch attempt into a slope, but it didn't hurt me too badly, as I followed up with two putts.

Hole 6 (Par 4) – Double, Bogey

I played too much fade with the driver and ended up against some bushes on the inside corner of this dogleg. All I could do was pitch back to the fairway. My third shot barely missed the green. I made a decent chip, but had another edge burner. My second shot was a little long the second time through. Again, it was a decent pitch and an edge burner. Putts were not dropping!

Hole 7 (Par 4) – Bogey, Par

A solid drive to the left edge of the fairway was followed by a gap wedge that found the back tier of the green, where the hole was located. The slope of the green fooled me and I also left my lag putt way short. Two more putts were needed. A push slice found an opposite fairway the next time, but a great 7-iron landed on the green. An uphill breaking putt nearly dropped for birdie, but burned the edge, of course.

Hole 8 (Par 4) – Double, Double

My worst drives of the day were on this hole. Both times, I smother pulled the ball just a few yards ahead. My second shots were decent, but didn't finish in the fairway. Thick, lush rough decelerated my club head the first time and I needed another shot to reach the green. Two putts ensued. My third shot did find the green on the repeat, but a burned edge and a 3-putt resulted in the same score.

Hole 9 (Par 4) – Bogey, Bogey

I hit good drives both times through to the centre of the fairway. 6-iron was the approach club of choice, both times finishing a little short of the green. This was by design, as that's not a bad place to leave the ball. Three putts from there worked the first time. A pitch that I left short was followed by a good up and down the second time.

Putts were simply not dropping, otherwise I played well enough for this to be a score in the 80s.

Score: 92
Putts: 37
Fairways: 6
Greens: 4
Penalties: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment