October 04, 2020

Shortened Round Before Sunset

I was at Banty's Roost late in the afternoon and managed to play 13 holes before dark. There were few people on the course at that time, so I jumped around a bit, wherever I found an open hole. I finished 11 over par, or a bit better than bogey pace.

The first two holes produced par and bogey. The par was lucky, as I sculled a pitch attempt through the rough, with the ball stopping 8 feet from the hole. I took advantage of my luck with a good putt. The bogey occurred after a similarly sculled pitch. This time, I was further away from the hole and the putter couldn't save me.

I was up and down over the next couple holes, earning double-bogey and par. The double was on a par 5. After finding the fairway off the tee, I just hit a sequence of bad shots. I topped a couple of long irons and came up short on a couple of pitches. Conversely, I hit a good long iron approach on the next hole to earn par.

My next crack at a par-5 produced par, but it was a bit ugly. I push sliced my drive to an opposite fairway. From there, it was easier to play toward that hole's teeing area. I hit the target area with 5-wood, then flew a sand wedge over a fescue covered dune to reach the correct green. A nice lag and tap-in were more conventional.

The next two holes, a par-4 followed by a par-3, were a struggle. I pulled an iron off the tee on the former, finishing near a spruce tree that robbed me of a proper swing. I punched back to the fairway, but then duffed a pitch attempt. A pitch and two putts earned a double-bogey. My tee shot was fat on the par-3, requiring another shot to get on the putting surface. Unfortunately, I 3-putt from a difficult spot for another double.

Fortunately, I made a couple of pars in a row after that. 5-iron, followed by 7-iron carried me safely to the green on a short par-4. A lag and tap-in were easy from there. 5-iron also got me to the front of the green on the next hole, a par-3. A great lag from distance was rewarded with an easy par putt.

On to another par-5 and I earned double-bogey. I smother pulled a drive attempt and lost my ball. Hitting my third from the tee, I was able to drive one pretty deep down the fairway. Unfortunately, I hit a low slice with the 3-wood next. I was able to find the green with a wedge and 2-putt to finish up.

Two bogeys and a par concluded the outing. My 7-iron on a 161-yard par-3 missed the green right, requiring a pitch and two putts. After a good drive on a par-5, I topped another long iron. The hole was lengthy, so I needed a good 5-wood just to get near the green. A chip and two putts completed the hole. The final hole, a par-3 over water was textbook stuff, as I hit the green in regulation and two putt easily.

Score: 63 (11 over)
Putts: 24
Fairways: 4 of 9
Greens: 4 of 13
Penalties: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment