April 16, 2006

Fresh Start at Banty's Roost

My 2005 golf season ended in late October with a disappointing round at Banty's Roost Golf & Country Club. Defeated in every sense of the word, my only consolation was a sweet red apple, plucked from one of the many apple trees that line the 27-hole course, located in Caledon, Ontario. Though the apple was fantastic, my performance was not. In fact, it left a bad taste in my mouth that lasted the entire off-season.

As a result, it was with great anticipation that I began the 2006 season in early April at Banty's Roost. What better way to exorcise the demons of the previous year than to return to the scene of the bloodletting? Off-season developments gave me reason for confidence, too. Back in December, I took advantage of a Boxing Week sale at the local Golf Town. I strode up to the first tee carrying a bag loaded with a new TaylorMade R580 driver and a fresh set of Callaway X-16 irons.

Playing the White and Blue courses at Banty's Roost, I got off to a shaky start, except for some textbook play on the par-3 third hole. Managing to turn things around on the eighth hole, I began a stretch of bogey-golf that lasted through the 17th. Going into the final hole, a 125-yard, par-3 over water, I had a score of 94. With a double-bogey or better, I would have broken 100, something I've only done six times in my golf career. Unfortunately, two consecutive shots into the water meant finishing with a familiar score of 102.

Despite choking at the final hole, it was a respectable start to the season.

Score: 102
Par: 71
Putts: 38
Fairways: 7
Greens: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment