April 16, 2006

Putting Woes at Hornby Glen

Putting is the part of my golf game I've always been most comfortable with, but that wasn't the case on April 9, 2006, when I played at Hornby Glen Golf Course, located near the Village of Hornby, Ontario.

Perhaps I should have seen the writing on the wall when I arrived at the golf course and found the practice green covered by a big blue tarp. Hornby Glen renovated its clubhouse in the off-season and is currently making improvements to the course itself. When I discovered the practice green was off-limits, I decided to hit some of my own balls in the driving area instead.

The practice seemed to pay off, as I had a surprisingly good round striking the ball with my driver, fairway woods, and irons. Unfortunately, the same could not be said of my putting stroke. I struggled on the greens throughout the round, leaving some putts far too short and others way too long.

In fact, my greatest success came when I didn't have to putt at all. After my drive landed right of the green on the 211-yard, par-3 fourth hole, I was forced to play a tricky second shot. My chip attempt bounced off a mound, slowing the ball just enough to roll into the cup. It was a birdie that required no putts!

With some average putting, this would have been a sub-100 round, so I'm encouraged for the future.

Score: 103
Par: 72
Putts: 42
Fairways: 6
Greens: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment