April 17, 2006

Setback at Hidden Lake

The last thing a golfer wants to do is repeat the same mistake, especially in consecutive rounds. A week ago, I put on a horrendous display of putting, so my objective was clear as I prepared for another round at Hidden Lake Golf Club, located in Burlington, Ontario. Above all else, I wanted keep the putts to a reasonable number.

Single-minded determination often produces results, and this was no exception. Playing the Old Course at Hidden Lake, one of two 18-hole courses available, I finished with my best putting round of the early 2006 season. Unfortunately, it was also my worst overall round. You might say I was so preoccupied with putting, that I neglected the rest of my game.

Weather conditions certainly didn't help. At the first tee, one of my playing partners made a comment to the starter about the gusting wind. With a straight face, the starter replied, "Don't worry, it's only blowing out on the New Course." The joke drew mild chuckles from those within earshot, including myself. In hindsight, I wish he had been telling the truth. Wind was definitely a distraction on many shot attempts.

On the positive side, I managed a birdie on the 373-yard, par-4 eleventh hole. My tee-shot on the intimidating 14th hole was also noteworthy. Considered by many to be the signature hole on the Old Course at Hidden Lake, this 160-yard, par-3 features a narrow green perched on the side of a steep embankment. A large bunker and dense trees spell disaster for anyone that carries their tee-shot to the right of the green.

Score: 108
Par: 71
Putts: 36
Fairways: 3
Greens: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment