June 11, 2006

Par-3 Fun at Saw-Whet

It's a good thing I delayed my latest round of golf by one day. There was a chill in the air on Saturday and the wind was brisk at 35 km/hr, with gusts exceeding 55 km/hr. Twenty-four hours later, it was much warmer and the fierce wind had subsided.

Thankful that the weather became more favourable, I set out for an early morning round at Saw-Whet Golf Course, located in Oakville, Ontario. Saw-Whet is a nice course for beginners and bogey golfers, owing to its generous fairways, sparse hazzards and generally flat terrain. On this occasion, it was also in fine condition.

On the front nine, my putting was nothing to write home about. A four-putt on the first hole spoiled a good drive and approach shot that came to rest on the fringe at the back of the green. On the ninth hole, I completed the bookend with another ghastly four-putt. Pin placements contributed to my putting adventures, with most holes cut at the very front or very back of the green.

Aside from a couple of meltdowns on the par-5 ninth and tenth holes, I actually played respectable golf for most of the round. Most encouraging of all, was my play on par-3 holes, which produced two pars and two bogeys. The best of these was the 160-yard 15th, which plays across a pond by the entrance to the course. I hit a lovely shot into the wind that landed pin-high, ten feet from the hole. My birdie putt just missed, leaving an easy tap-in for par.

Score: 110
Par: 71
Putts: 42
Fairways: 3
Greens: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment