June 27, 2006

Promise at Peninsula Lakes

Round Two of the 2006 Deepwoods Golf Association Tour was held last weekend at Peninsula Lakes Golf Club, located in Fenwick, right in the heart of Ontario's Niagara region. Round One at Copetown Woods was a debacle, so I was very anxious to turn things around. Coming off an encouraging round at Bushwood, I was in the right frame of mind to do so.

Prior to the round, I spent some time on the driving range loosening up. Based on the way I was hitting my irons, there was reason for concern. I was hitting too many shots "fat" and I could tell from my divots that my swing was following an outside-in path. I tried to make adjustments, then switched to my driver, which seemed to be working well.

It's a good thing I got the bad shots out of my system on the range. Out on the course, I had virtually none of the same problems. That's not to say that all my iron shots were perfect. The frequency of errors however, was reduced. Meanwhile, my driver shots remained solid.

What really helped me on the day was my short game. By far, this was my best chipping and putting round of the year. The two really go hand-in-hand, as good chip shots can really make putting a whole lot easier. With my chips stopping consistently in the vicinity of the hole, I managed to limit total putts to 34, including four one-putts. When my first putt missed, I was usually inches away from the hole for an easy tap-in.

Score: 102
Par: 71
Putts: 34
Fairways: 5
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment