June 28, 2006

Best Score Ever at BraeBen

My goal for the 2006 golf season was to score less than 100 on a more consistent basis. I did it twice in 2004 and four times in 2005, so I figured I was heading in the right direction. Doubling my number of sub-100 rounds from the previous year did not seem unreasonable.

After fourteen consecutive rounds resulting in a score of 100 or more, it was beginning to look like that goal was unachievable. A fantastic round at BraeBen Golf Course, located in Mississauga, Ontario has changed all that. Not only did I break 100, I also compiled my best score ever -- a very satisfying 95.

Prior to that, my best score ever was a 96 at Kleinburg Golf Club, located in Kleinburg, Ontario. I remember it well because I shot 51 on the front nine, followed by nine consecutive bogeys on the back. As far as consistency goes, it remains one of my best stretches.

So, what accounted for my success at BraeBen? If I really knew, I would probably have a lot more sub-100 rounds under my belt, but here are some theories. For the first time ever, I played a course entirely by myself. In addition, from the first tee to the 18th green, I did not encounter any groups, either ahead or behind me. Perhaps the absence of pressure, however slight, enabled me to play relaxed golf. Or, maybe I played well because I moved along entirely at my own pace. The fact is, I never stood around waiting for others to shoot, and I never felt rushed. Think about it.

Before I finish, I should mention a disclaimer of sorts. My round at BraeBen was played from the white tees, which measure a mere 5501 yards. From the gold tees, the course measures 6003 yards, which is comparable to the courses I typically play. I opted to play from the white tees because this was my first ever visit to BraeBen and because of the stiff winds that prevail on this links-style course, which was built on the site of a former landfill. If I go back to BraeBen, I will play from the gold, to find out how much of a difference the extra 500 yards really make.

Score: 95
Par: 72
Putts: 40
Fairways: 5
Greens: 4

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:22 am

    ParChaser,
    That's one lonely (and successful) round of golf. Interested to know what the gold tees bring.

    Ta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:17 am

    you better slow down cowboy or you are going to catch me...

    good stuff!!!

    ReplyDelete