July 03, 2006

More Nineties at Ballantrae

Maples of Ballantrae, located in Stouffville, Ontario, was the scene of my most recent golfing exploits during the Canada Day long weekend. On the heels of a best ever 95 at BraeBen Golf Course, the positive streak continued with a 97, good enough to tie for my third best score ever.

The round got off to a lucky start on the first hole, a 323-yard par-4 that requires an opening drive over a pond to a narrow fairway cut through deep woods. My tee shot cleared the water, but drifted right to the wrong side of the trees. An opening in the trees presented a clear path back to the fairway, but I launched the ensuing pitching wedge clear across the short grass. Fortunately, I hit a tree trunk dead on, and the ball bounced straight back into the fairway. After a lovely pitching wedge to the green and a nice putt, I actually saved par.

The next hole of note was the twelfth, a 362-yard par-4. My drive off the tee was straight, but only travelled 185 yards, as it popped high into the air. However, my next two shots were things of beauty. Gripping my 4-iron, I stood over the ball and launched a perfect shot to the centre of the green, 177 yards away. Next, I rolled a 15-foot putt into the centre of the cup for a textbook birdie, only my third of the year.

The 16th hole, a 444-yard par-5, also featured a fabulous shot with the 4-iron. After popping another drive straight into the air and chunking a 3-wood, I was right of the fairway, 180 yards away from the green. Trees prevented me from taking dead aim at the center of the green, so I set my sights on the left edge. With the 4-iron in hand, I launched a shot right on target. The ball came to rest on the left fringe and two putts later, I had salvaged par.

The only adventures of the day occurred on the final two holes. The 17th hole, in my opinion, is the toughest on the course. Golfers have to make two perfect shots to reach the green in regulation, as the entire length of the fairway is lined by thick woods on both sides. I could not avoid the trees and finished with a quadruple bogey.

The 18th hole is a 162-yard par-3 over a large pond. Standing on the tee box, I could not help but think of my opening round of the year at Banty's Roost, where two consecutive shots into the water on the final hole turned a sure sub-100 round into a 102. It was a bad thought to have, as I proceeded to plunk one right into the drink. Luckily, my second attempt made it over. Though I finished with a triple bogey, I walked away with the real prize -- another round in the nineties.

Things are looking good.

Score: 97
Par: 72
Putts: 32
Fairways: 5
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment