July 09, 2006

Streak Ends at Grey Silo

Back-to-back rounds of sub-100 golf hardly qualify as a streak, but given my struggles this year, I have no problem taking some descriptive license. This past Saturday, I quickly ended the streak with a final score of 107 at Grey Silo Golf Course, located in Waterloo, Ontario.

It was another first-time visit to a course, but I can no longer use that as an excuse for poor play. After all, my two best rounds this year were played at courses I had never visited before. Weather conditions were ideal and the course itself was immaculate. Kudos to the grounds staff for keeping it in great condition.

Out of eighteen holes, seven resulted in bogeys and seven more in double-bogeys. Two holes produced triple-bogeys, while one produced a quadruple-bogey. So, what about the remaining hole? If you're good at math, you've probably figured out that it wasn't a birdie or par. In fact, it was a disastrous six-over-par.

Since it would take too long to describe all eleven strokes taken on the 442-yard par-5, lets just say it included a drive pulled into the bushes, a penalty stroke, a few duffs, a greenside bunker shot that nearly made it back to Toronto, and some questionable chip shots.

As bad as that hole was, there were some excellent shots made throughout the day, mostly with the driver and 3-wood. That combination put me in great shape to reach the green in regulation on the fourth hole, a 496-yard par-5. Unfortunately, my sand wedge from 75 yards drifted left of target and it took a chip and two putts to walk away with bogey.

Generally speaking, short approach shots and poor chipping let me down all day. All too often, I wasted a great drive or second shot with a wayward approach from 75 to 100 yards away. Seven penalties on the day did not help either.

Score: 107
Par: 71
Putts: 37
Fairways: 7
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment