July 12, 2006

Return to Kedron Dells

Last Sunday marked the date of my first repeat visit to a golf course this year. The scene was Kedron Dells Golf Club, which I last played in early June. My final score this time around was 107, an eleven stroke improvement over the previous visit. Still, I was less than satisfied. At this stage in my development, anything over 100 has to be considered a failure.

Much like my round the day before at Grey Silo Golf Course, it was a mix of good and bad. I made at least one nice shot on every hole. Unfortunately, I couldn't string three or four nice shots together on a consistent basis. The seventh hole, a 341-yard par-4, and the sixteenth hole, a 333-yard par-4, were the only ones that yielded a par.

My best hole may have been the eleventh, even though the result was bogey. At 557 yards, this par-5 is straight as an arrow, with out-of-bounds along the left side. A driver, followed by two 3-woods carried the ball to the green in regulation. Pin-high, but on the other side of the large green, it took three putts to hole out.

The gutsiest shot of the day was my second on the fifteenth hole, a 307-yard par-4 with a severe dogleg to the right. My tee shot travelled about 160 yards, landing in the right side of the fairway. Since the dogleg is so severe, that position did not allow me to go directly at the green, unless I shot over a meandering creek and some very tall trees. I wasn't in the mood for playing conservatively, so that is precisely what I tried. When the ball disappeared over the trees, it looked promising. Sure enough, the ball came to rest just a few feet in front of the green, which I discovered as I rounded the bend.

Kedron Dells has always been somewhat of a nemesis for me, but I feel like I'm on the verge of figuring it out. We'll see what happens next time.

Score: 107
Par: 71
Putts: 40
Fairways: 4
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment