September 08, 2006

Slumping at Watson's Glen

Last Sunday, I played at Watson's Glen Golf Course, located in Pickering, Ontario. The remnants of Hurricane Ernesto brought rain to Southern Ontario for most of the Labour Day weekend, so I was glad to squeeze a round in. Had I teed off in the early afternoon, conditions would have been acceptable. Since I teed off in the morning however, I had to endure moderate to light rainfall and strong wind for the first six holes.

Not surprisingly, my worst scores of the day were picked up during the rainfall. My biggest problem was a persistent pull, which directed a few balls into thick fescue or pesky sand traps. On a good weather day, the fescue is tough to handle. After a few days of rain, it is nearly impossible to deal with. Of course, the solution is to avoid the fescue in the first place, which I was unable to do.

On the fifth hole, I pulled my second shot from the centre of the fairway and the ball landed left of the green. I ended up with a bogey, instead of a par. On the eighth hole, a par-5, I pulled my third shot from the fairway and the ball landed in a greenside bunker. This caused all kinds of trouble and I ended up with a triple-bogey, instead of a par. On the eleventh hole, my second shot from the fairway was also pulled into a greenside bunker. Double-bogey was the outcome.

I'm sure you see the pattern, but allow me to offer a few more examples. On the seventeenth hole, a par-3, I pulled my tee shot and the ball came to rest five yards left of the green. As a result, I ended up with a bogey. On the eighteenth hole, a par-5, I pulled my second shot from the centre of the fairway and the ball ended up lost in some fescue.

The good news is that I analyzed my swing after the round and I think I figured out the cause of the pulled shots. We'll have to wait for the next round to see if I am correct.

Score: 117
Par: 72
Putts: 39
Fairways: 7
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment