September 09, 2006

Victory is Sweet

Normally, I use this blog to record stories about my individual golf performance. This particular post is different, since it describes the outcome of a team event that I recently took part in. Organized by some of my colleagues at work, the event is an annual golf tournament designed to raise money for charity. Teams comprised of four players compete in the popular "scramble" format to determine a winner.

This year, the event was held at Granite Ridge Golf Club, located in Milton, Ontario. The venue was the same as last year, when I first participated in this particular tournament. On both occasions, my team managed to compile a score of 61, or nine under par. Last year, this was one stroke more than the winning team had, but this year it was good enough for victory among 36 teams!

Three members of this year's team played together last year. The fourth suffered a back injury last year that prevented him from playing. The nice thing about our victory was that all members of the team contributed in one form or another. Sometimes it was a tricky putt or sand shot, while other times it was a precise approach shot or monstrous drive. (For the record, none of the monstrous drives were mine, though I did drive the ball well, enabling some of my team-mates to bomb away.)

It was a thoroughly enjoyable round and everyone had a good time. Hopefully, some of the good karma will now find its way into my individual game.

Thanks guys!

Score: 61
Par: 70
Putts: 25
Fairways: 9
Greens: 16

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:38 am

    It sure was sweet... We are the champs till next year. It never came to my mind that we beat 35 other teams. That is impressive !!!
    Let's defend the title next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:28 pm

    Those few rare cheers that we were hearing from other teams must have come from hard fought par saves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:48 pm

    I guess "PAR" is a good score when you make "Bogey and Double Bogey" :(

    Good luck to them. Friends told me how they were driving greens and tearing up the course. When asked what they shot, they replied +3 or Even. So such is the golf life of some!

    ReplyDelete