October 15, 2006

Killer Greens at Tyandaga

With a couple of decent rounds under my belt, I was looking forward to playing at Tyandaga Municipal Golf Course, located in Burlington, Ontario. Tyandaga is not a particularly long course, measuring less than 5,800 yards from the back tees, but the hilly terrain and some tight fairways make it a formidable challenge.

I drove the ball poorly most of the day, hitting just three fairways. Two of those barely reached the fairway, as I struck ground before ball and was lucky to achieve any distance. When I managed good contact off the tee, I usually pulled the ball just left of target. On a few occasions, I pulled the ball severely into the woods or out of bounds.

My iron play was quite good, provided I was taking a full swing. I had good accuracy and distance with my low irons and found a fair number of greens with my pitching wedge. Chipping and putting was another story, as the Jeckyll & Hyde greens played tricks on my mind and wreaked havoc with my ego.

I three-putted nine of the holes played, racking up a total of 45 putts for the round. Sloping greens and a slick surface often conspired to inflate my scores. On numerous occasions, I tapped the ball ever so lightly only to watch it roll ten feet past the hole. When I made good putts, they either lipped out or stopped within a few inches. Absolutely nothing dropped.

I limped through the last two holes and was happy to get in the car and leave.

Score: 116
Par: 71
Putts: 45
Fairways: 3
Greens: 0

No comments:

Post a Comment