October 22, 2006

Saw-Whet Nailbiter

It's late October, which means golf season will soon be over here in southern Ontari-ari-ari-o. Sure, die-hards that brave the autumn chill can often extend the season to mid December, but opportunities for quality rounds are disappearing quickly. I've played a lot of golf this year, so I wouldn't feel bad if the season ended tomorrow. Having said that, I will definitely continue to play as long as the weather permits a decent golfing experience.

Round 40 of the season was played at Saw-Whet Golf Course, located in Oakville, Ontario. It's a course I've played often - one I should be able to take advantage of. I played reasonably well on the front nine, averaging bogey for all but one of the holes. The first half of that stretch featured some sketchy drives off the tee, but a few inspired iron shots kept me in the hunt.

On the seventh hole, a 331-yard par-4 that bends to the right, I finally gained control of the driver. Taking dead aim at the trees on the right side of the fairway, I launched a perfect shot. The ball sailed over the trees, landing safely in the fairway on the other side, a mere 90 yards to the green. My approach shot was a little long, so I needed a chip and two putts to hole out for bogey.

On the eighth hole, a 373-yard par-4, I drove the ball straight but not very far. The ball came to rest in the middle of the fairway, but I still had 170 yards to the flag. Using my trusty 5-iron, I smacked a wonderful shot that ended up pin-high on the collar of the green. After a great putt and an easy tap-in, I collected my only par of the day.

The back nine was fairly consistent, but I collected a few more double-bogeys than I did on the front. Driving was once again spotty, but I often recovered well. One example was the eleventh hole, where my second shot was played from behind a small pine tree. Trees further off in the distance prevented me from taking dead aim at the green, but I picked a spot on the left side of the fairway and hit a perfect 3-wood. From there, a simple chip and two putts earned a bogey.

Everything came down to the last two holes, a 144-yard par-3 and a 371-yard par-4. Standing on the seventeenth tee, I knew I needed no worse than two over par on the remaining holes to finish with a total score below 100. The seventeenth hole can be dangerous for right-handed pull-hitters, because the entire left side is out of bounds. I played it safe, missing the green to the right. The ball stayed out of the bunkers on that side, so I was able to chip and two-putt for a bogey.

On the eighteenth tee, I hit perhaps my best drive of the day, right to the 150-yard stick in the middle of the fairway. I got a little nervous when my subsequent shot came up well short of the green. Luckily, the ball stopped in an area with no impediments, from which I chipped safely onto the green. Next, I faced a lengthy putt, but my goal was just to put it close. I did precisely that and then tapped in for the required bogey.

It was the eighth time I broke 100 this season, fulfilling a goal I set at the start of the year. Throw in the two times I scored an even 100 and the total number of good rounds played (at least by my standards) this year is ten, representing 25% of rounds played. Next year, that number should be at least 50%.

Score: 99
Par: 71
Putts: 35
Fairways: 3
Greens: 1

No comments:

Post a Comment