October 17, 2006

Tough Wind at Pheasant Run

With a freak snowstorm hitting areas as near as Fort Erie just a few days earlier, I was a little worried about the weather for my latest round of golf. The forecast called for a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius, with the wind chill making it feel like -1 degrees. As it turned out, temperature was not a problem, but wind certainly was.

This was my first visit ever to Pheasant Run Golf Club, located in Sharon, Ontario. Pheasant Run features three 9-hole courses, allowing for some interesting combinations. I played the Highlands and Midlands courses, which meander through thick woods and feature some pretty elevation changes. The Southern Uplands course is a little more subdued, with gently rolling terrain and fewer tree-lined holes.

The Highlands course features three par-5 holes, including the first hole, which is arguably the toughest of the bunch. Thick woods line the entire fairway and wrap around parts of the green, making this hole tough even when the weather is perfect. Add some wind and a little chill and things get downright nasty. I had trouble with many of the par-5 holes, mostly because of the plentiful trees. To be completely honest, my ball striking also left something to be desired.

I struck the ball much better on the Midlands course, but was unable to adapt my short game to the windy conditions. Shots with the pitching or sand wedge seemed to carry much further than usual and it was difficult to concentrate while chipping and putting. I also lost a few balls in the fallen leaves, which artificially inflated my score. Under summer conditions, those balls would easily be found.

Despite my final score, it was a very enjoyable round. Pheasant Run is quite a nice course -- one I will definitely return to next season.

Score: 118
Par: 73
Putts: 43
Fairways: 4
Greens: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment