August 03, 2008

Barely Holding on at Hornby Glen

It was Sunday of the long weekend and a great day for golf. Playing at Hornby Glen, I enjoyed the outing quite a bit, even though my game was far from spectacular.

I hit the first two greens in regulation, but 3-putted the first hole and 4-putted the second. I also 3-putted the fourth and fifth holes. The greens were absolutely eating me up! I played Hornby Glen quite a few times over the past few years, but the greens had never been this fast. Lacking any major impediments other than the occasional long rough, maybe the staff decided slicker greens was the way to go.

The speed of the greens came into play on a number of my chip attempts. I found myself short-sided quite a few times, with two options. The first option was to land the chip shot in the rough or fringe just before the green. If executed perfectly, the ball would take one bounce in the rough or fringe and decelerate just enough to finish somewhere near the hole. The second option was to fly the ball safely to the green, accepting the fact that it would probably finish somewhere past the hole. I chose the second option every time, which I still think was the right decision. I was amazed however at how far the ball rolled on the greens after landing. It was unbelievable. In some cases, I rolled right off the other side.

I did manage a couple of pars on holes six and eight, a par-5 and par-3 respectively. The drive on #6 was particularly satisfying, as it travelled about 285 yards downwind. After nine holes, I was shooting 50.

My putting got a little better on the back nine, but I still amassed a couple of 3-putts on holes twelve and eighteen. The first putt on #12 was a downhill one that kept going, and going, and going. The first one on #18 was an uphill one that was struck a tad too firm.

I played more controlled golf on the back nine, but the result was almost the same. A triple bogey thanks to a lost tee shot on hole #15 was the only real wild moment. Unfortunately, there were also no pars to be had.

I needed three consecutive bogeys to break 100, so at least I managed to salvage that. Had I added just a single more stroke, it would have been devastating.

Score: 99
Par: 72
Putts: 42
Fairways: 2
Greens: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment